Author Topic: Magically Macabre Mods  (Read 5528 times)

Quady14

• Lost Archivist of The Drop, Prone to Digression
  • Most Wize Sage
  • With A Buzz In Our Ears, We Play Endlessly
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
Magically Macabre Mods
« on: August 16, 2013, 01:23:00 PM »
Hello one and all, and welcome to the unofficial domain of messing around with DDrop's files and making weird/awesome things with it.

Technically at the moment what I am personally doing isn't modding past the sense of just replacing art assets with other art assets and tweaking movement values 'n such for laughs 'n giggles, but hopefully my skills shall grow and I'll end up making even cooler stuff in time!

Basically this is a place to relevantly post any and all results of messing about with the game's files we'll probably end up creating throughout the various alpha builds and beyond! To start, I'll post up a couple of pictures of the monstrosities I've already created. Moving forward I may be posting videos and other such things for even more entertainment value! Hope you all enjoy, and feel free to use this place to post your own pictures and such!

Bone-headed Rogue

Fairy Cake Rogue

Someone Overfed the Bats
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 01:09:48 AM by Quady14 »
(Name Contributor of Rauzdauer the Mulletworthy!)

Quady14

• Most Wize Sage
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
Re: Magically Macabre Mods
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 09:47:31 PM »
Got a video for you all this time, since this one kinda of works better seen in action. It's not too special, essentially just turning to Sorcerer Class into a Ghost, making the fireball a ghostly fireball, and swapping the sound effect to fit aforementioned ghostly fireball (the sound effect of the ghost fireballs is actually the sound effect of Subdue elemental projectiles, for anyone interested).

Delver's Drop (Alpha "Rogue Magic") Modding #1 - One-Armed Ghost Avensteppe
Delver's Drop (Alpha "Rogue Magic") Modding #1 - One-Armed Ghost Avensteppe

The reason the Sorcerer's wand arm is still there is because I couldn't melee switches without it, and that basically meant I couldn't even leave the jail without that arm there. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. If I pursued this further I'd definitely change up some behaviors, like only being allowed one fireball out at a time, (but no other restraints in case your fireball hits a wall too early) probably a little slower and a little more drifty, and overall closer to the enemy type themselves. Anyways, that's what I've got for now, hope you guys dig it!

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
  • The meanest Dolphin you'll ever meet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 02:05:10 PM »
From the depths of the rop rises the most fearsome enemy ever known to delvers.
THE STRAWBERRY GOBLIN!
(click to show/hide)

Skwiziks

• Delver's Drop - Early Access Players
  • Forgekeeper
  • So, how about that Cartographer?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 05:03:15 PM »
Does it occasionally drop fruit that heals you?  :D

Quady14

• Most Wize Sage
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 05:07:17 PM »
It is fantastic. Before long we'll have like 20 different goblins all wrapped up in one awesome Goblin Overhaul mod! XD

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 05:48:47 AM »
I haven't figured out how to specify how to add additional textures. The JSON file seems to draw from parts that are specified in the texture XMLs (called "bulk_01" in the case of monsters/characters/objects). There seems no way to specify another file to use sprites from.

I theoretize that I could do the following (most stuff stays the same compared to the pre-alpha):

- Add another entry to the enemy.csv and change the actor to a new json file
- Add new sprites to the texture file (no idea if I could simply do that via entering the coordinates; even if it works, that's
  certainly not feasible for more that a few entries;)
- Duplicate an existing json file and change the sprites it uses those previously added to the bulk
- Add the enemy to the tiled database.
- Place it in a room

Ryan Burrell

• Pixelscopic
  • Veteran
  • ...and here I write something witty about myself.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 10:16:51 AM »
Currently the only things that require more than commonly available tools or basic code editing would be adding new art, animations, and enemy behaviors. The first out of those you've already discovered is partially editable by replacement. We use a tool called Texture Packer to create our sprite sheets, which essentially just condenses all images into the most efficient use of space possible and then exports an XML file that acts as an index for looking up those images by name. You can do this by hand and generate your own XML entries, but I can tell you from experience this is very time-consuming and often infuriating (this is how the earliest art in the game was added in the Before Times).

The animation files come from Spine, and are simply JSON format, which is essentially optimized XML. The data in it is exceedingly more complex than the XML for referencing images, so while *technically* you could create animations / skeletal structures purely by writing JSON markup... you are a madman if you do so (or have waaaaaaaaaay more time than a normal person should).

In general your assumptions on how to edit the data and get new content in are correct; apart from some specific special-case instances and the enemy behaviors most everything is exposed, editable data (though "editable" is a broad term). I'm currently working on the second installment of our process article series which I'm very far behind on, which should shed some more light on how things go into the game coming from the art standpoint.

Pixelscopic Director of Technical Design

(i.e. I do a lot of stuff that doesn't fit under a convenient label)

Ryan Burrell

• Pixelscopic
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 10:19:54 AM »
Oh, and that's really fun experimentation you all have going on there; it's fun to see people fiddling with things.

Sorry, got wrapped up in my previous explanation :)

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 12:24:41 PM »
I already suceeded in manipulating json files. Yes, changing the animations via numbers alone is a *tad* too time consuming. Someone of you once talked about doing the previous spritesheets per hand and that's indeed where I got the initial idea from.

Is there some way to use another sprite sheet other than "bulk"? This would allow to easily reskin objects and use multiple different textures for one model (well technically you have to duplicate it). Copy the spritesheet with a different name, edit the desired parts and change the reference spritesheet for the skeleton to said created spritesheet. Or would that clash with something?

Btw,if the enemy behavior sample is a indicator for future development I'm happy.

Waiting for another Burrell report until then.

EDIT: Question already got Coby'd.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:41:47 PM by Doomspeaker »

Ryan Burrell

• Pixelscopic
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 09:46:33 AM »

I'll post this here even if Coby answered elsewhere, in case my phrasing is more helpful to someone different:

You can create your own separate sprite sheet and associated XML and include it in the game. The formatting of the XML will need to match what Texture Packer spits out, so you could look at bulk_01.xml as an example. Remember there are two PNGs and XML files for each sheet, one for HD and one for SD.

Once you've created a new sheet, there is a file in the /art/textures/ folder called texture_list.xml; this is where you add a reference to your new texture. Assuming everything lines up with the XML, it will be read in correctly when the game loads and whatever is used for the "n" attribute for each <sprite> reference in the XML will be the ID that can be used in the JSON files, the CSVs, etc.

There is no limit to the number of textures that can be used, but obviously the more you have the more of a performance hit the game will take.

Regarding the enemy behavior sample, we're moving toward something like that. This will mean that I can define the enemy behaviors without needing Coby to compile so I can test and blah blah blah and also exposes that data for modding down the road. In general, whatever is good/easier for me to use is good/easier for everyone else; I am our prototypical modder.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 09:48:05 AM by Ryan Burrell »

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 12:06:48 PM »
I managed to replace single parts so far (goblin eyes), but I deleted every other entry in the xml. What happens if there are 2 entries have the same ID?

I tend to forget that you are the primal modder as well after all! xD

Ryan Burrell

• Pixelscopic
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 02:27:05 PM »
Unsure about duplicates. Possible outcomes might be: A) nothing will work B) the first ID reference will be used and the second ignored C) the second ID will be used overwriting the first or D) anything referencing that ID will be broken but all else will be fine.

My money would be on B.

* Permissions

• You can't post new topics.
  • You can't post replies.
  • You can't post attachments.
  • You can't modify your posts.