Author Topic: Delver's Drop 3D Models  (Read 8582 times)

Quady14

• Lost Archivist of The Drop, Prone to Digression
  • Most Wize Sage
  • With A Buzz In Our Ears, We Play Endlessly
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
Delver's Drop 3D Models
« on: September 05, 2013, 07:00:18 AM »
I've been picking up Sculptris over the last few days, and wanted to try something Delver's Droppy, so I snapped a few pictures of the Rogue for reference and whipped this together over a period of... Well, let's just say many hours with very few breaks in-between. That said, I'm tired, so I'm going to go take a nap now. Hope you all enjoy!

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:43:39 AM by Quady14 »
(Name Contributor of Rauzdauer the Mulletworthy!)

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
  • The meanest Dolphin you'll ever meet.
    • View Profile
Re: 3D Rogue Model
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 10:42:02 AM »
3D Fanart, intresting...

Isn't Sculptris the small borther of ZBrush?

Quady14

• Most Wize Sage
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 12:03:42 PM »
Essentially yeah, it's Zbrush with much fewer buttons but essentially most of the same capabilities. It's nice to start out with and learn the basics, though there are some things I'd like to be able to do with it that it doesn't seem to be capable of. I usually can find workarounds most of the time though, so it's not too bad.

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 12:41:06 PM »
Yeah ZBrush is a bit overkill for beginners. It's suprisingly easy to handle once you get into it though.

I noticed that many should-be-straight surfaces are kinda bumpy; doesn't Sculptrist have a plateau tool or something (sorry for got how it was called correctly)? That thing could help you a lot with straight geometrics.

You also forgot a stitch on the "facing right" part. ;P

Quady14

• Most Wize Sage
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 01:09:54 PM »
I'm taking Organic Modeling which focuses primarily on Zbrush, so before the end of this semester I'll probably have Zbrush somewhat under my belt as well. Best part is that I can focus on a single project with these programs for hours on end and still be pretty happy, even if the end-product comes out a little bumpy. I've always loved sculpting, so 3D modeling software is sort of like a natural extension of that.

There are the Smooth and Flatten tools, but the flatten tool does some weird things when I use it too heavily at all, essentially pushing out surfaces to a locked plane. It may be because of a certain option I had checked on, but I only messed with it when I needed to square off objects, and even then I had to use it sparingly or it'd flatten them to the point of making the geometry look weird. I know we discussed hard-surface modeling in class, so I'll probably ask the teacher more about that sometime. I'd like to mess with more flat, solid designs, so I can make really nice, smooth models.

I might've forgotten a stitch or small detail here and there, I worked on a lot of the finer details through the wee hours of the morning and probably was too exhausted to notice a couple of minor things. XD

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 02:40:48 AM »
Smooth and Flatten defintely should not do that. Weird...

Sculptris doesn't feature something as comfortable as z-spheres right?

Quady14

• Most Wize Sage
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 03:03:02 AM »
I asked my teacher about it today and he said that essentially Sculptris isn't very well suited to hard edges and such; it's great as a sort of 3D sketchpad, and you can easily transfer models from Sculptris to Zbrush, and vice-versa, but my inexperience with modeling in general combined with a rather limited base of tools to get desired effects means I'm putting out lumpier models the more complex they become, and this is probably the most complex model I've worked on so far. I might try modeling a bat over the weekend and see how that turns out; they're a much more simplistic design compared to the Rogue so hopefully it'll come out looking a little nicer. I think I'll have fun with it at the least.

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 11:58:28 AM »
Ahw, that's a bummer.

If you look for and easy DDrop object to model, wouldn't the Goblin come to mind?

Quady14

• Most Wize Sage
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 12:10:39 PM »
Definitely, wouldn't even need to worry about making fancy wings; maybe I'll try for both ;)

Quady14

• Most Wize Sage
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
Re: Delver's Drop 3D Models
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 04:51:01 AM »
Alright, just finished up with my 3D rendition of the Bat enemy, still pretty sloppy, but it was significantly less highly aspiring than the Rogue, so it's hopefully also a little cleaner than the Rogue was:

I'm pretty happy with the face, but the wings were a little tough to get just right. After a while I just sort of settled for what I had and moved on. It's hard because I'll spend like half an hour on one part of the model and never get it just perfectly, then I have to let myself move on and not be an OCD neat freak like I usually am. Anyways, hope you guys like it. If I keep going with this I'll probably shoot for a Goblin model next. Should be a good time. ;)

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
  • The Dorothy to your Dark Oz
    • View Profile
    • 8:30 to Awesome
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 04:57:34 AM »
Very nice Quady!!

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 09:28:35 AM »
The jaw is they best done part imo. Wings also turned out much better than I expected! The snout should be more like a ovoid instead of a circle, making the nose ridge longer I guess.

It's hard because I'll spend like half an hour on one part of the model and never get it just perfectly, then I have to let myself move on and not be an OCD neat freak like I usually am.

That's the reason why I need to tell myself "WORK IN STAGES, WORK IN STAGES" all the time, because otherwise I end up with insanely detailed eyes while the res of the creature isn't even properly fleshed out. xD

Skwiziks

• Delver's Drop - Early Access Players
  • Forgekeeper
  • So, how about that Cartographer?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 05:02:42 PM »
Agree with doom, the jaw works quite well.

Quady14

• Most Wize Sage
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »
I feel like these are taking less time the more I work with them, but I'm pretty sure it has less to do with me getting that much better and more to do with the fact that I went from a really complex character to a less complex character to a rather simple character. Heck, the Gobeling is essentially a circle with a bulbous nose and stickly little legs. Still, that's why I love him! :P

I used one of the in-program textures to give him a furry body, but I still don't really understand the best way to implement textures, so at most it gives his body a porous texture. Now that I think of it, I think textures might look better if I paint on the texture in a slightly darker shade instead of trying to sculpt it on... I'll have to mess with that next time around.

Any suggestions for what to sculpt next? I'm open to ideas, I don't really know what I want to do yet. XD

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
  • The Dorothy to your Dark Oz
    • View Profile
    • 8:30 to Awesome
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 07:45:32 AM »
It looks real cute Quady!

* Permissions

• You can't post new topics.
  • You can't post replies.