I'm trying to come up with a name for a "race" (loosely speaking) in the Delver's universe:
There are areas of the world where Murk poisoning near pure water (Ichor) springs has created poisonous swamps called "Spoils" or "The Spoil." These swamp areas are a confluence of death and decay from the Murk and the life-giving properties of Ichor springs... meaning they are places where the dead may return to life, or things that are non-living may gain sentience.
Several lifeforms come from the Spoil:
Slimes - you know 'em, you love 'em, every game has 'em. Slimes. They are basically just animated swamp-goo, somewhere between ectoplasm and slugs. Almost no intelligence, they just ooze around sucking things up and digesting them.
Monstrosities (or possibly "Abominations") - monsters whose only purpose is consumption. They are completely distinct from other animal-based creatures (mammals, birds, reptiles, insects), but have similar intelligence. Monstrosities have gelatanous skin, and they ooze a like a mild digestive acid - touching them burns and can be poisonous. They consume other beings like a jellyfish, wrapping around them or swallowing them up, and absorb them whole. They usually have one eye and spikes or tentacles.
Gobelkind - the goblins of this world. They grow from the swamp matter organically, and do not reproduce. Their flesh is spongy like a fungus and usually greenish. They form societies and can use weapons and some tools, but have a lower level of intelligence than humans and short lifespans.
This is the one I need a name for (below)!!!!
[Mutants] - A race of humanoid beings that have taken on aspects of other lifeforms that have decomposed in their swamps. It is unclear how they originated, since they obviously derived from a human or humanoid bloodline. They have greenish / bluish / yellowish skin, deep colorful hair, pointy ears, and often some mutated animalistic traits. They are both beautiful and monstrous. Their names will typically be names from common folklore, but re-imagined for the Delver's world as a single race: Bogey, Dwerger, Barghest, Lamia, Succubus/Siren, Mermaid, Harpy, Satyr, Troll, Ogre. Humans hate and fear them, viewing them as abominations. They are often violent to protect themselves, but in general wish to simply be left alone to continue their own culture. They have been known to work with humans at times, but this is rare.
Ideas for the name of this race... please offer suggestions or preferences!!!!
• Chimera - overused in games (?)
• Mutants - too generic
• Demons - sounds too spiritual / evil
• Fay / Fairies - too cute and magical
• Wights - maybe? Seems too evil / undead
• Barghests - literally "barrow ghosts." Kinda cool, but this term specifically refers to a dog-like creature in folklore.
• Boggarts - I like this since it (probably) literally means "from the bogs," but the downside is the weird pronounciation "bogg - uhts" (say it with a British accent).
• Ghests - I kind of like this too, but it's a weird word and derives from the same root as ghost - "gaest" which I think is Welsh or something, and Geist which is German.
• Abomination - too long of a word, or too "ugly" sounding?
• Bogeys - just makes me think of targets in an aerial dogfight.
• Sirens - maybe? too sexy?
• Sprites - Too small-sounding?
• Nymphs - slightly too weak? But nicely generic enough.