Author Topic: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.  (Read 432444 times)

LobsterSundew

• Delver's Drop - Early Access Players
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Lobster's List for Kickstarter
Re: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.
« Reply #105 on: May 29, 2013, 06:53:17 PM »
Armikrog is almost at the 25% mark and is still gaining momentum. The
Lazy Game Reviews episode for The Neverhood
should give a good feel of the game this project is pitching if your like me and never played it before. Using stop-motion does sound like an easy way for a game to fall behind in a game's production schedule.

Today there was the launch of A Hat in Time which is a 3D platformer with collectibles that fans of Banjo-Kazooie should click on. It links to
a video of Super Mario 64 modded for multiplayer support
for an example of how they want to implement 2 player co-op. I hope they do make reach that multiplayer stretch goal.
Often a day 1 backer of Kickstarter projects.
http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/iankragh

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
  • The meanest Dolphin you'll ever meet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2013, 04:07:27 AM »
Today there was the launch of A Hat in Time which is a 3D platformer with collectibles that fans of Banjo-Kazooie should click on. It links to a video of Super Mario 64 modded for multiplayer support for an example of how they want to implement 2 player co-op. I hope they do make reach that multiplayer stretch goal.

30,000$ seems rather cheap considering the amount of work needed to be done. How's that even possible? Other than that, I need to shell out money for this. It has cell shading (which is in the progress of becoming an artform similar to pixelart; meaning it's kind of timeless) and a 3D platformer with it's own unique style.

I noticed that Nintendo is the big winner when it comes to kickstarter. PS4 is rarely mentioned and no notable project I saw until now mentions Xbox at all. Many indies of today are huge Nintendo fans, so the releasing on a Nintendo platform is a dream to come true for many of them.

I wonder if the next generations will be influenced the same way by PS/Xbox (probably not as their main customers don't seem to be the tech types.).

Quady14

• Lost Archivist of The Drop, Prone to Digression
  • Most Wize Sage
  • With A Buzz In Our Ears, We Play Endlessly
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2013, 04:19:20 AM »
Definitely agreed on Cel-Shading, I'd love to learn about how to do it myself, I love the smooth, simplistic style and vibrant colors of games like Wind Waker. El Shaddai, despite being sort of a lackluster hack 'n slash, was still a greatly enjoyable experience because of the way its levels varied so much from each other and utilized Cel-Shading to achieve some really awesome visual effects. Not to mention the music as well as the aesthetics and looks of each chapter for that game rocked... Yeah, I'd definitely love to learn how to do Cel-Shading well, one of my favorite art styles for sure.
(Name Contributor of Rauzdauer the Mulletworthy!)

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2013, 01:22:16 PM »
Massive Chalice by Double Fine.
A turn based strategy game that takes into consideration longtime strategies.

They currently have far to less info to judge if this is going to be great or not, but the pitch looks promising.

Quady14

• Most Wize Sage
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2013, 01:38:41 PM »
Well Double Fine never fails to provide unique and fresh games with a wacky sense of humor, so I trust em to put out something pretty sweet. Not a huge turn-based strategy game buff myself, but we'll see how it ends up working out. Either way it's probably a given that they'll smash through their set funding goal within a couple of days; they're Double Fine after all :P

TheLazyGeek

• Scout
  • I don't get paid enough to not be lazy.
    • View Profile
    • The Lazy Geek blog
« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2013, 03:18:35 PM »
Well Double Fine never fails to provide unique and fresh games with a wacky sense of humor, so I trust em to put out something pretty sweet. Not a huge turn-based strategy game buff myself, but we'll see how it ends up working out. Either way it's probably a given that they'll smash through their set funding goal within a couple of days; they're Double Fine after all :P

Yeah, I have no doubt they'll rocket past that initial goal.  Maybe even double it.

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2013, 06:46:30 PM »
Its at almost 340k already. They better start making up stretch goals.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2013, 11:33:01 PM »
Massive Chalice is now past its minimum goal. I slightly dislike the pitch video for Massive Chalice for taking to long to convey what the game is. It did improve when the project leader was drawing on the whiteboard. I think the Double Fine Adventure pitch video served the function of a pitch better. Double Fine can get away with it because they are both entertaining and Double Fine, but I am worried that others will try to use such sketches as their pitch videos and fail at both at being funny or efficiently conveying information.

A Hat in Time has smashed its stretch goals. With all that funding I hope they make a great game that inspires other indies to make 3D platformers.

Armikrog is at only 53% with 17 days to go. It could be very close, but I am hopeful as the Kicktraq trend is to 119%.

A science fiction adventure game called Abducted from the studio that made the game Crow is now on Kickstarter. It looks to be well made and it would be nice if more in-game footage was shown.

A new batch of indie games should be getting ready to launch. From The Heavens has a Darwinia like art-style. I like the SNES mode 7 look to some of the graphics of Dwarf Corp. I played a bit too much of the demo for the tower defence game called The Magnificent Time-Traveling Adventures of Mr. Fiskers.

Knight Pattern

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2013, 11:16:01 PM »
Mild excitement levels for A Hat in Time cause it has been yoiks since I last played a collectathon.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2013, 11:32:51 PM »
Armikrog's trend on Kicktraq has now dipped below its goal amount despite many backers upgrading their pledges.

Frontiers is an open-world RPG that has been doing very well since launching this week. The creator blogged about a bad experience with IndieGoGo that helped get the project some attention.

There is a Sci-Fi 2.5D action platformer Dark Matter that launched today. I like the use of blue, yellow and orange lighting in the environments. It is from InterWave that released the hybrid FPS/RTS Nuclear Dawn back in 2011.

TheLazyGeek

• Scout
  • I don't get paid enough to not be lazy.
    • View Profile
    • The Lazy Geek blog
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2013, 02:09:31 AM »
Oh look, it's what Other M should have been; could have been.  Dark Matter

I always love me some 2.5D shooting action, but this one looks like it got some Alan Wake mixed into it with the lighting/shadows element.

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2013, 02:52:41 AM »
My only gripe with this game is that it seems to be zoomed in too much. It's always annoys me when monsters are hidden out of sight for no reason.

Quady14

• Most Wize Sage
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2013, 04:39:46 PM »
I'm kinda sad Armikrog is dipping like it has been, I was really hoping there would be more support, but I guess the point 'n click adventure genre isn't the most promising thing on the planet, especially when it needs almost 1 million dollars to fund, I totally understand why the cost is higher than your average game, but I guess maybe it's not totally practical in terms of price-wiseness. The guys on the project are staying hopeful, so I will too, but they're gonna have to pull some crazy stunts to reach their goal with only a week left. I'm not sure I'm too into the whole "add-on" system they have going on in addition to reward tiers, is that a common thing used with kickstarter projects or was that mostly their idea?

As far as Dark Matter goes... I'm not sure I dig it. I wasn't a fan of Other M by a longshot either, (the action was average aside from stupid insta-kills that came out of nowhere but everything else was mediocre) still though, Dark Matter looks to be leaning more towards bland and slow to me. I look at it and I'd rather pick up GBA Metroid games, because they play a lot more smoothly and satisfyingly than this looks to.

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2013, 04:54:53 PM »
I'm kinda sad Armikrog is dipping like it has been, I was really hoping there would be more support, but I guess the point 'n click adventure genre isn't the most promising thing on the planet, especially when it needs almost 1 million dollars to fund, I totally understand why the cost is higher than your average game, but I guess maybe it's not totally practical in terms of price-wiseness.
I think it has more to do with Doug TenNapel public statements about certain topics. Kickstarter is as much believing in the project as it is believing in the people behind the project. 

As far as Dark Matter goes... I'm not sure I dig it. I wasn't a fan of Other M by a longshot either, (the action was average aside from stupid insta-kills that came out of nowhere but everything else was mediocre) still though, Dark Matter looks to be leaning more towards bland and slow to me. I look at it and I'd rather pick up GBA Metroid games, because they play a lot more smoothly and satisfyingly than this looks to.
Yeah, there is this new breed of two 2D games that don't really get the platforming part. This is often done under the pretense of realism. Running through corridos, facing a monsters just standing there and gunning them down without much vetical movement is rather boring.

Quady14

• Most Wize Sage
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2013, 05:23:05 PM »
Yeah... TenNapel's a talented guy but I definitely don't agree with his views at all about certain things. Really disrespectful if you ask me... I don't know, I guess it's sort of another one of those "Would you buy this even though it's supporting somebody who you know isn't the most savory fellow around" deals, like we discussed with Fez a month or two back. It's not all that different, but I have a history of enjoying the games and short films TenNapel has had a part in making since I was a kid and before I knew about some of the nastier things he's said in interviews, so I didn't let it dissuade me. I guess in those cases you either decide not to support the person making the game, or just treat the game and the person as separate entities and enjoy it for what it is. Kind of a moral conundrum, it's lame when you love the things somebody creates, but can't respect the person like you respect their games. :/
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 01:01:10 PM by Quady14 »

* Permissions

• You can't post new topics.
  • You can't post replies.
  • You can't post attachments.
  • You can't modify your posts.