Author Topic: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.  (Read 342907 times)

Quady14

• Lost Archivist of The Drop, Prone to Digression
  • Most Wize Sage
  • With A Buzz In Our Ears, We Play Endlessly
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
Re: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.
« Reply #120 on: June 23, 2013, 10:41:28 AM »
I thought about it for a while, read a few more articles, watched a few humorous but very true videos about the general issue in different contexts, and decided to change my mind; backing Armikrog isn't really for me, even if I enjoyed previous works like Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood and grew up with games TenNapel was behind. It's kind of looking bleak for the project anyways with so little time left and still 1/3 of their goal to fulfill, and in a way I feel bad for not supporting the other members of Pencil Test studios just because I don't support TenNapel's attitude and beliefs towards others, but I feel better stepping back from the project from a moral standpoint.

I actually only found out about how bad the issue was a couple of days after initially backing the project, and since then every time I would look at the page I'd have a slight pang of regret about supporting someone who makes such paranoid, bigoted statements without any sort of remorse. Like you said Doom, Kickstarter is as much believing in the project as it is believing in the people behind the project, and I don't think I believe in TenNapel quite as much as I used to.

I feel kind of crappy about the whole situation overall, but I think stepping back from it is the best thing to do for my own peace of mind.
(Name Contributor of Rauzdauer the Mulletworthy!)

LobsterSundew

• Delver's Drop - Early Access Players
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Lobster's List for Kickstarter
« Reply #121 on: June 24, 2013, 04:58:10 PM »
A little charming Earthbound-like RPG called Undertale has been capturing attention this morning. That project thumbnail image is so good it should be a poster reward. It already has over 300 backers.

OZombie is the latest game from the creator of Alice. Earlier this year he had a successful campaign for Akaneiro: Demon Hunters.
Often a day 1 backer of Kickstarter projects.
http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/iankragh

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
  • The meanest Dolphin you'll ever meet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 24, 2013, 05:33:11 PM »
Under Tale: Uhm, what kind of artstyle is that, not my case. They are rather low on information, way too early to say if it's good or not. They want to support a pacifist way of playing the game; this could really help to distiguish it from other rpgs.

So McGee decided on The Wizard of Oz instead of getting an Alice license from EA (wouldn't have gotten it anyway).
I really hope they succeed, because Alice: Madness Returns showed that spicey horse really has potential. I'm a bit confused by the multiplayer part though, but it's mentioned that multiplayer is not the main part. I really hope this succeeds if only for a wonderful reinterpretation of a classical tale in the same vein such as Alice.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2013, 12:37:37 AM »
Under Tale: Uhm, what kind of artstyle is that, not my case. They are rather low on information, way too early to say if it's good or not. They want to support a pacifist way of playing the game; this could really help to distiguish it from other rpgs.

Undertale's overall presentation is very strong for its target niche. The art style invokes heavy sense of nostalgia for me. A lot information about the game like its combat system was conveyed by watching it in action. I've also been impressed by the first three project updates that have been made. A project from the past I'm remined of is Sealark. It too relied mostly on its presentation to convince backers. The pitch video is a girl in a boat fishing.

So McGee decided on The Wizard of Oz instead of getting an Alice license from EA (wouldn't have gotten it anyway).

OZombie has made a post about being in negotiations to make another Alice game after this one.

Speaking of nostalgia, Dropsy is a point and click adventure game, based on a 2008 comic, that has returned to Kickstarter. The first campaign happened in 2011 and was the 4th campaign I backed on Kickstarter. If you like games that use weirdness as a strength then take a look. The uniqueness of the audio is a big selling point for me as it fits the world of the game.

There was also a hack and slash called HollowFear that has some tower defence and RPG elements. I like how well the writeups for the game were done.

wraithbone

• Journeyman
  • Engineer, gamer, geek...
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2013, 10:49:14 PM »
What are our thoughts on Warmachine Tactics?

$20 is a good entry point for what looks (admittedly from marketing material) to be a quality title.

Is $65 too steep for a beta entry point?

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2013, 03:04:37 AM »
I was looking into it was well. They seem to be in the right spot at the right time, because gamesworkshop has only just annouced their partnership with slither games.

65 for beta is rather steep if you ask me.

Other than that is looks like a good catch, because they already got a working game to base the game on. And they are guaranteed to hit lots of stretch goals.

wraithbone

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2013, 05:52:37 AM »
...They seem to be in the right spot at the right time, because gamesworkshop has only just annouced their partnership with slither games.

Yeah, GW has announced partnerships with:
Rodeo Entertainment for Warhammer Quest (WFB)
Full Control for a remake of Space Hulk (2013)
Slitherine for a 40k turn based RTS (2014)
and
Behaviour Interactive for a 40k MMORPG (2015)
also
Sega for a WFB game, details not availble (2014~15)

Possible rumours that the relic team (now with Sega, after the fall of THQ)  will one day pick up Dawn of War 3.

So GW is pushing the video game sector hard with its IP.

No surprise one of its big competitors is too.
Cool thing about Warmachine: Tactics is its being published by privateer press (makers of the table top game), not pushed out to some third party publisher.

Im surprised Infinity hasn't started to push into the video game sector, maybe they will follow Warmachine.

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 12, 2013, 10:32:45 AM »
...They seem to be in the right spot at the right time, because gamesworkshop has only just annouced their partnership with slither games.

Yeah, GW has announced partnerships with:
Rodeo Entertainment for Warhammer Quest (WFB)
Full Control for a remake of Space Hulk (2013)
Slitherine for a 40k turn based RTS (2014)
and
Behaviour Interactive for a 40k MMORPG (2015)
also
Sega for a WFB game, details not availble (2014~15)

Possible rumours that the relic team (now with Sega, after the fall of THQ)  will one day pick up Dawn of War 3.

So GW is pushing the video game sector hard with its IP.

No surprise one of its big competitors is too.
Cool thing about Warmachine: Tactics is its being published by privateer press (makers of the table top game), not pushed out to some third party publisher.

Im surprised Infinity hasn't started to push into the video game sector, maybe they will follow Warmachine.

Well I'm not that suprised that you're a tabletop fan. If those figures weren't so expensive....

Anyway, it looks like turn based tactical games fare pretty well on Kickstarter (C-Wars, Kronos, Telepath Tactics etc.)

wraithbone

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2013, 04:45:45 PM »
Well I'm not that suprised that you're a tabletop fan. If those figures weren't so expensive....
Was my was my screen name & avatar & signature a giveaway?  :P

Yeah GW make the best minis out there, they know it, and price accordingly.
Kinda sucks, but as someone pointed out they are the "Ferrari" of TT gaming. Warmachine is like the Mercedes of TT and infinity sits in the toyota range.

My friends who play 40k gloat. "I spent $400 on Spehs Mareens this year!" Being a cheap student who part-times, I'm more like... "they charge HOW MUCH for wraithguard/blade now!?"

Anyway, it looks like turn based tactical games fare pretty well on Kickstarter (C-Wars, Kronos, Telepath Tactics etc.)

I guess there is demand for them. Hopefully that means the slitherine game does well.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 25, 2013, 09:55:34 PM »
DwarfCorp is game where you control a colony of dwarves exporting resources via hot air balloon pickups. It received a Staff Pick and was the 3rd ranked project in today's top ten.

I am preparing a Kickstarter guide for Reddit's /r/gamedev using DwarfCorp as an example since I helped shape the project page. Here is a sneak peek about designing main reward tiers.

crinaya

• Forgekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2013, 02:32:26 PM »
I know it is outside the realm of video games, but I figured I would plug this kickstarter that I am backing. 

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/673576049/the-agents-a-double-edged-cards-game

It's a card game with a lot of cerebral strategy needed to fully execute.  It's obviously super-backed and may very well hit all published stretch goals, but I thought it might be something interesting to share with the group.

There is some controversy behind it as the creator, Saar Shai, was involved in another kickstarter (Ringbow) that still has not fulfilled from over a year ago.  There has been much discussion about it within the campaign, and it's interesting to see how it influences some people and not others.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2013, 10:48:26 PM »
I know it is outside the realm of video games, but I figured I would plug this kickstarter that I am backing. 

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/673576049/the-agents-a-double-edged-cards-game

It's a card game with a lot of cerebral strategy needed to fully execute.  It's obviously super-backed and may very well hit all published stretch goals, but I thought it might be something interesting to share with the group.

There is some controversy behind it as the creator, Saar Shai, was involved in another kickstarter (Ringbow) that still has not fulfilled from over a year ago.  There has been much discussion about it within the campaign, and it's interesting to see how it influences some people and not others.

The thread on BoardGameGeek about that issue was an interesting read. I'm leaning towards the Ringbow being too large in scope than being a scam.

The project page itself for The Agents is very well done, especially the page's neatly arranged graphics. The rewards also work well, although I noticed it does not go higher than a $400 tier. The game looks good. If this project had launched in 2012 I would have probably backed it quickly. This year I've kind of stopped backing the tabletop games as I don't really have anyone to regularly play against now that I'm out of college dorms. Game nights also often default to Puerto Rico or Settlers of Catan.

August hasn't been impressing me for projects as much as past months this year.

Dungeons the Eye of Draconus is a co-op brawler where you can play as a drinking diabetic barbarian and ride a flame breathing chicken mount.

U55 End of the Line is a first-person horror game set in a dark German subway system that has some good graphics.

Antithesis, Reality is a small project for a noir story game that seems to have completely stalled out. I don't like seeing a project stall out so easily.

I've posted the Kickstarter guide to Reddit that I mentioned in my previous post.
LINK

Quady14

• Lost Archivist of The Drop, Prone to Digression
  • Most Wize Sage
  • With A Buzz In Our Ears, We Play Endlessly
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2013, 10:55:43 PM »
A drinking diabetic barbarian? Oh my god, that sounds like my kind of game!

I SHALL BE THE KING OF DIABEETIS!

U55 looks really good too, I absolutely love the setting, so if they do the right things with it I'll have to keep a very close eye on that one.
(Name Contributor of Rauzdauer the Mulletworthy!)

Ryan Burrell

• Pixelscopic
  • Veteran
  • ...and here I write something witty about myself.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2013, 08:39:52 AM »
I've posted the Kickstarter guide to Reddit that I mentioned in my previous post.
LINK

I wanted to let you know that I shared this link with the Indie Megabooth Google Group as many of the companies involved are either in the midst of a KS campaign or considering one in the future, and to say this would be helpful to them would be a vast understatement.

Pixelscopic Director of Technical Design

(i.e. I do a lot of stuff that doesn't fit under a convenient label)

crinaya

• Forgekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2013, 05:23:36 PM »
Last 50 hours for The Agents if anyone is interested.

Also, for those interested in Kickstarter tactics, Jamey from Stonemaier Games also has a blog with Kickstarter theory he has learned in having two successful board game Kickstarter campaigns.  It can be found here.

* Permissions

• You can't post new topics.
  • You can't post replies.
  • You can't post attachments.
  • You can't modify your posts.