Author Topic: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.  (Read 347866 times)

Deltius

• The Devient
  • Most Wize Sage
  • The mouth may lie, but never the eyes.
    • View Profile
Re: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2013, 12:28:10 PM »
We spend 191,626 hours or close to twenty-two years of our lives sleeping.  Ever wished we could have those years back? to beat sleep?  What would we do with the time? What would the consequences be? If any of y'all enjoy Graphic Novels or if that above statement caught your attention then I recommend checking out R.E.M. It seems to have a pretty interesting story/plot with some striking black and white artwork for it.  They even have a small animated trailer in the Kickstarter promo video and also a short live action mini film here
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 02:55:05 PM by Doomspeaker »
“If you want to say something and have people listen then you have to wear a mask. If you want to be honest then you have to live a lie.” -Banksy

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
  • The meanest Dolphin you'll ever meet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2013, 06:58:13 AM »
@LobsterSundew: A good developer often sadly gets shot down because they are not good at marketing. This will certainly help a lot of people for their future campaigns to come to fruition!

@Deltius: Took the liberty to fix you last link if that's ok.
They sell as pdf, that earns extra points, because in the past there were plenty of books I'd love to at least get a digital glimpse of that would have forced me to pay absurd sums for shipping. Worst part is the the shipping money will help the KS itself zero. (does that phrase even make sense in english?)

Mighty No. 9 looks like another game drawing from classic megaman AND Megaman Zero (and XZ). Looking at the team it's probably more accurate to say that it's a spiritual successor of the Megaman Series. This is especially good, since Megaman is more or less death since a few years and I'd already given up the hope to see another title trying to hold up that torch.

LobsterSundew

• Delver's Drop - Early Access Players
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Lobster's List for Kickstarter
« Reply #137 on: September 03, 2013, 05:58:50 PM »
I wanted to let you know that I shared this link with the Indie Megabooth Google Group as many of the companies involved are either in the midst of a KS campaign or considering one in the future, and to say this would be helpful to them would be a vast understatement.

Thanks. It looks like I'm going to have a busy September this year from the messages I'm getting.

@LobsterSundew: A good developer often sadly gets shot down because they are not good at marketing. This will certainly help a lot of people for their future campaigns to come to fruition!

I've been seeing some project creators with a "launch and forget" approach. Sometimes I don't even find a forum spam post for a project, so after the project wastes its first 48 hours it is quickly buried beneath other projects in the rankings and left for dead. Many times the projects themselves had potential.

Kickstarter Canada launches this month, so I expect a flood of new projects. Here are some currently active ones.

Neverending Nightmares is a 2D horror game from the creator of Retro/Grade. The project creator has posted a recap about PAX.

I've been surprised by how Pocket Rumble has only 150 backers so far. Other fighting games that have sought crowdfunding seem to do well because of the how passionate and close knit the fighting game community can be.

If you like comedic road trip through post-zombie outbreak USA to get to Canada then take a look at Death Road to Canada.

Octopus City Blues has a very strong art pixel art style to the surreal city players explore. The homepage is also bizarre. I remember the previous game Rainbow Nightmare from this dev.

Mighty No. 9 looks like another game drawing from classic megaman AND Megaman Zero (and XZ). Looking at the team it's probably more accurate to say that it's a spiritual successor of the Megaman Series. This is especially good, since Megaman is more or less death since a few years and I'd already given up the hope to see another title trying to hold up that torch.

The Kicktraq data shows very impressive numbers for the backers it is bringing in each day. It is already over 23,000 backers and day #4 is still not over. It is hard to say if it will beat Project Eternity as that project had more backers at the start, but wasn't getting such large amounts in daily pledges.
Often a day 1 backer of Kickstarter projects.
http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/iankragh

Ryan Burrell

• Pixelscopic
  • Veteran
  • ...and here I write something witty about myself.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 06, 2013, 10:38:44 AM »
I'm curious what you all think of Chromancer. Their campaign is in tricky territory right now. They exhibited in the MEGABOOTH with us at PAX this last week and seemed like a cool group of guys. I wonder what their campaign needs to give it a boost?

Pixelscopic Director of Technical Design

(i.e. I do a lot of stuff that doesn't fit under a convenient label)

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 06, 2013, 04:33:39 PM »
WayForward already has over 4,000 backers for their Shantae: Half-Genie Hero. The music for the pitch video is very catchy from an artist I backed on Kickstarter before.

I'm curious what you all think of Chromancer. Their campaign is in tricky territory right now. They exhibited in the MEGABOOTH with us at PAX this last week and seemed like a cool group of guys. I wonder what their campaign needs to give it a boost?

There is are 296 backers pledging $35,975 (59%) for an average of $121 per backer. The Kicktraq data shows a trend to 84% with the tendline rising over the last few days due to large pledgers. You are going to hear more about the big pledges throughout this post. The daily numbers of backer charts looks like a wild ride. It launched on a Friday which is not good and ends on a Wednesday which is good. For its main tipping point it needed $18,000 before halfway through the campaign, it kind of did reach that point exactly at the middle but it was so close I am debating whether to say it didn't count. It is in the Video Games category which has brutal competition and has risen to the 17th slot thanks to big pledgers.

Big jumps in pricing from $5 to $15 and from $550 to $1,400. There are only 15 reward tiers which felt short as I usually like to see 20 tiers for a smooth strucutre. The difference in the offerings of the $60 and $65 tiers is confusing at first. From update #7 and a Gamasutra post it seems the structure underwent mid-campaign revisions. It is difficult to do have attractive rewards for Free2Play games and trading card games in general struggle on Kickstarter. The intrinsic rewards, like designing an artifact for a card, could have worked if the rewards were structured better.

Clicking here links to a graph for the reward tiers. The $25 tier is the most popular. A lot of the contribution of funds are from the two backers at the $6,000 tier which is not good if those pledges were to bounce. Overall the contributions are coming more from the highest priced tiers which I don't like to see to that extreme (21 backers are 68% of the funding). I was not following this campaign after it launched, I hadn't even starred it, but I assume from the pledges per day chart on Kicktraq that some of those biggest pledges were only recently. Update #6 states the campaign was at $12,100 on August 25th. When I look at the "quality" of the backers it is highly varied. There were at least 92 brand new accounts. It looks like the project is depending a lot on backers from outside of Kickstarter regulars.

The project updates are better than average. There is good use of Twitch for the alpha testing that they should probably continue doing.

Then I actually went over the pitch video. The piano and synth music's tone is a strange choice for a fantasy setting subject material. The footage quality was not a problem. The three targets mechanic is an interesting foundation to build a TCG on top of. The art is good, but not wowing (A problem with many other TCG projects). Positioning itself as not a clone of Magic The Gathering was a smart move. Overall the pitch was good enough. The footage of the actual video game, even though it is an early version, does not impress me.

It takes a long time to scroll down the main project page because of huge art images. The official site is well organized with a good layout and images.

For promotion I would have focussed on the digital TCG communities, but it appears they already did and those communities are comparing it negatively to Inifity Wars. It is getting some medium grade media attention so lack of press coverage isn't as serious an issue. There is already a subreddit established and two posts outside of the subreddit to tcgcollecting and digitaltabletop. They should post to /r/kickstarter eventually.

The shortlink analytics shows 69 visitors from Twitter and 46 from Facebook. It may be worth it to continue pushing the game on Twitter.

After all that analysis, I still think it still has a decent chance to get funded with about $20,000 needed in the 11 days left. There is a weekend slowdown and the launch of Kickstarter Canada that could negatively impact its performance in the popularity rankings.

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 06, 2013, 06:06:37 PM »
Does Kicktraq factor in the upwards spikes the occur in the last days/hours?

The art is good, but not wowing (A problem with many other TCG projects). Positioning itself as not a clone of Magic The Gathering was a smart move.

There's an idea people should copy form magic though: Their style guide for artwork.
Like every other big cardgame, MTG used to be plagued by inconsistent depictions and wildly varying designs for the same objects. Then they realized that they had to develop at least some basic guidlines to help make cards more recognizeable.

It just annoys me when creatures that are supposed to draw from the same power/are from the same faction/anything else symbolizing a bond looks vastly different for no reason and could easily be placed on any other card.

All together their ideas look good, but there is no way to guarantee that they will/can keep their promises (especially more details on "reprinting editons"). I'll go and search for some interviews with them to get a better outlook I guess.

Quady14

• Lost Archivist of The Drop, Prone to Digression
  • Most Wize Sage
  • With A Buzz In Our Ears, We Play Endlessly
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #141 on: September 06, 2013, 08:03:35 PM »
WayForward already has over 4,000 backers for their Shantae: Half-Genie Hero. The music for the pitch video is very catchy from an artist I backed on Kickstarter before.

I love Wayforward, they are da best.
(Name Contributor of Rauzdauer the Mulletworthy!)

Ryan Burrell

• Pixelscopic
  • Veteran
  • ...and here I write something witty about myself.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 09, 2013, 10:26:15 AM »
[size=78%]After all that analysis, I still think it still has a decent chance to get funded with about $20,000 needed in the 11 days left. There is a weekend slowdown and the launch of Kickstarter Canada that could negatively impact its performance in the popularity rankings.[/size]

Very interesting and impeccably detailed as usual, thanks for your feedback. I met their lead designer at PAX and we chatted for awhile about their campaign. He's extremely passionate about what they're making, specifically how the mechanics work.

Pixelscopic Director of Technical Design

(i.e. I do a lot of stuff that doesn't fit under a convenient label)

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2013, 10:00:45 PM »
Does Kicktraq factor in the upwards spikes the occur in the last days/hours?

Nope. There is even a post about it on their blog. It should be possible to use historical data to make a refined projections, but actually implementing that could be a mountain of work and there is also the cost of mining all that data, storing in and then server time to actually process it.

What I would like to see from Kicktraq is more than just a graph of the net number of backers each day, but also graphs that show each individual tier's progress over time. I can only manually track so many campains to get data like this.

The quality of projects launching is starting to increase this week.

A visually stunning pixel art action RPG is Hyper Light Drifter.

Taxi Journey is back for a second attempt.

I've been following the metroidvania Blood Alloy after seeing it multiple times on Screenshot Saturdays.

A hardware project related to video games that was doing extremely well today is the Stem System that can work with the Oculus Rift. Virtual reality gaming should see a huge boom in 2014 partly thanks to crowdfunding.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 12:44:01 AM by LobsterSundew »

Skwiziks

• Forgekeeper
  • So, how about that Cartographer?
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2013, 10:15:02 PM »
Hyper Light Drifter?

Sword & Sworcery meets Bastion?

Quady14

• Most Wize Sage
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2013, 09:41:22 AM »
That's what I thought. Stunning is almost an understatement, I'm keeping my eye on that one. Looks like something I'd really enjoy.

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2013, 11:00:04 AM »
Hyper Light Drifter?

Sword & Sworcery meets Bastion?

Well, it looks a lot less rigid than Bastion, therefore much, much better!

VacantPsalm

• Veteran
  • 4 dots per dot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 14, 2013, 06:48:06 PM »
Found this through Steam Greenlight; it's at Indiegogo but who cares, Adventure OS. It uses the files on your hard drive to create the game world. It sounds like a gimmick at first, but then they go into more details about it and it sounds kind of awesome. I advise at least watching the video.
Retina MacBook Pro for life + Win 8 for gaming + Ubuntu for home server box = happy Vacant! :3

~ WITCH! ~ WITCH! ~ WITCH! ~ WITCH! ~~ WITCH! ~ WITCH! ~ WITCH? ~ WITCH!

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
  • The Dorothy to your Dark Oz
    • View Profile
    • 8:30 to Awesome
« Reply #148 on: September 15, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
For those interested, a spiritual successor to Mega Man is up for a kickstarter, already well beyond it's goal unsurprisingly. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9

Quady14

• Most Wize Sage
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #149 on: September 16, 2013, 02:38:59 PM »
Backed Mighty No. 9 and Hyper Light Drifter just yesterday. Very excited to see more on both of em!

* Permissions

• You can't post new topics.
  • You can't post replies.
  • You can't post attachments.
  • You can't modify your posts.