Author Topic: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.  (Read 347861 times)

Quady14

• Lost Archivist of The Drop, Prone to Digression
  • Most Wize Sage
  • With A Buzz In Our Ears, We Play Endlessly
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
Re: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.
« Reply #150 on: September 18, 2013, 01:11:05 AM »
Just found out about this project, The Long Dark through an article on some more recent really promising Kickstarters, nothing to go off of gameplay-wise, but they've got a lot of talent within their dev team and the concept itself sounds like something I could really connect with and get engrossed in the world of. I'm not jumping to pledge to them right now, but once there's a little more out there about it I'll definitely have to check it out again. Until then I figured I'd post it up here and see what you guys think of it, at least in terms of the concept itself, since there's not too much to see of the actual game at the moment.
(Name Contributor of Rauzdauer the Mulletworthy!)

LobsterSundew

• Delver's Drop - Early Access Players
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Lobster's List for Kickstarter
« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2013, 02:21:09 AM »
The horror game Neverending Nightmares is in its last 48 hours. It has $75,428 so far and the backers are trying for one last push to raise the $23,572 needed to make its minimum goal. If you like dramatic last hour pushes then this is the campaign to watch this weekend. This was also the first campaign where I've been tracking the performance of every tier each day for some interesting data that can benefit future projects. There are five other campaign's I've started tracking in this way and I'll gradually try to scale up my data collection.

One campaign I'm tracking daily is the Wind Waker inspired open world game Cornerstone.

Another is an artistic little game using photographed miniatures for assets called Knite & the Ghost Lights. If you liked Armikrog then take a look as the project is not doing as well as it should be.
Often a day 1 backer of Kickstarter projects.
http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/iankragh

Stadler

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 03, 2013, 01:32:07 PM »
After looking at Cornerstone, I couldn't resist the urge to pledge. The artwork is looking fantastic

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
  • The meanest Dolphin you'll ever meet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 03, 2013, 05:23:03 PM »
The only thing about HLD that makes me grumble is the exclusive ingame content at 75$. I don't care for all these physical rewards, as they are kind of a hassle to get outside of the US.

It's a bit similar to DDrop, but they at least had an all digital tier and the promise that the content would not be gated of forever/would make a difference.

Skwiziks

• Forgekeeper
  • So, how about that Cartographer?
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 03, 2013, 10:25:45 PM »
After looking at Cornerstone, I couldn't resist the urge to pledge. The artwork is looking fantastic

....but that's not Cornerstone.  :P

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
  • The Dorothy to your Dark Oz
    • View Profile
    • 8:30 to Awesome
« Reply #155 on: October 04, 2013, 02:10:42 AM »
It's not but Cornerstone still looks awesome. Will certainly be looking for it when it comes out.

Stadler

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 05, 2013, 10:46:38 AM »
I'll admit it was confusing that HLD artwork was on the Cornerstone page at first, oh well both are looking great and no hesitation in pledging to the 2 of them

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 06, 2013, 03:40:22 AM »
Neverending Nightmares had a memorable last 48 hours push. It was one of the most enjoyable ones I've experienced on Kickstarter so far. That day had 818 comments on the project.

Clicking here links to with the final data. It's a bit off from the daily numbers for backers in the Kicktraq data because I went by midnight PST instead of EST. I also can't see where the funds that came from backers pledging for add-ons went.

The way the tiers are graphed over time through bar charts is lazy but it serves its purpose. It illustrates changes happening in the growth rates of the tiers after specific events. The bar charts take on a shape like stairs and the steeper the stairs are for a portion of the graph the faster the rate of growth for that portion was. For example, the shape of bar chart for the $10 tier segment grows rapidly with a steep slope and then stops with a flat plateau of no growth after September 4th because it was an early-bird tier with a limited number of slots. The same day the early-bird tier was depleted the $15 pre-order tier then saw its growth really start.

The $15 tier was not the only tier to see a boost when the $10 early-bird tier was full. Many of the medium priced tiers see a small increase in their growth rate the same day the early-bird tier was full. I suspect that backers who would otherwise be drawn to backing medium priced tiers are overpowered by the temptation of saving money with an early-bird slot still present. Another possible explanation is that the Markplier Let's Play video went up a day before and the boost from it might not have been over, but I've seen the effect on other campaigns' graphs when their early-bird rewards filled so I don't think it was that. It is a potential reason to avoid having too many early-bird tier slots. For Neverending Nightmares it felt like it either had just enough slots or could have used a couple hundred more.

I also see pledges at the biggest tiers happening in the first few days and the very last days. Big pledges on the first day often come from family, fans and friends that were waiting for the campaign to launch. Big pledges during the last week can come from people that really want to see goals met. If a campaign has poorly structured rewards then the middle period's lack of big pledgers is likely going to be difficult to get through. The slowdown in the middle of many campaigns is still something I'm having difficulty mitigating. With more data I can perhaps design reward structures that ride out the Kickstarter trough softer by having changes like the additions of new tiers or add-ons already planned ahead of the launch. I'm getting good data from Hyper Light Drifter as they were regularly adding new tiers in the first half of the campaign and I was able to see shifting in the tiers as a result. With Taxi Journey I'm getting even better data about how not to adjust reward tiers because the campaign gutted its momentum by gambling on a new $10 tier that caused negative growth rates in multiple tiers from backers downgrading their pledges.

Since the lower and medium priced tiers tend to fit to a bell curve shape I can use the bar charts to look for places the rewards structure could be improved. Before the $100 tier and after the main tier, I like to see each tier have half the backers of the tier priced just below it. For Neverending Nightmares the "Backers by tier over time" chart has the $75 tier seen dropped enough that inserting a $60 tier could tap into a bit of funding that can still be gained from existing backers.

The $1 tier of Neverending Nightmares is something important to look at. 7% of the backers in the rewards structure chose it with 257 backers by the end of the campaign. So many backers had picked it that it was even complained about on OUYA Forum. Thoughout the campaign I was occasionally tracking Neverending Nightmare's popularity ranking in the Video Games category and I believe the $1 tier significantly helped keep the campaign from falling down too far in the rankings. Rankings appears to be more about backers per day numbers and less about pledges. The name in the credits reward is being traded for a bit of extra exposure and a little bit of extra funding that I think is very worth it. During the slowest days the $1 tier was a significant percentage of backers for those days so that also made the Kicktraq daily graph look healthier. It was also a pool of backers that can have a percentage upgrade their pledge during the last 48 hours. It is now even harder for me not to recommend having a $1 tier that includes a backer's name in the credits and it is now common in the reward structures I help design.

If you like simulation games such as Prison Architect then take a look at Rimworld. It is about managing a colony of random people like accountants and lawyers who now have to adapt to killing buffalo and repelling raiders. This is an example of a campaign without physical rewards.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 03:44:36 AM by LobsterSundew »

Deltius

• The Devient
  • Most Wize Sage
  • The mouth may lie, but never the eyes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 09, 2013, 10:55:02 PM »
I went ahead and backed  Hyper Light Drifter as well.  Looks amazing and really intrigued me!  It's in it's final  63 hour stretch!
“If you want to say something and have people listen then you have to wear a mask. If you want to be honest then you have to live a lie.” -Banksy

Stadler

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 10, 2013, 10:11:43 AM »
I went ahead and backed  Hyper Light Drifter as well.  Looks amazing and really intrigued me!  It's in it's final  63 hour stretch!

Awesome! Great to see that project become so successful.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 14, 2013, 12:58:31 AM »
The Hyper Light Drifter was such an amazing campaign that it was difficult for many small campaigns to compete against it. The campaign ended with $645,158 (2389.5%) and 24,150 backers.  There was a per backer average pledge of $26.71 and the $10 tier on its own had almost 9,000 backers. My graph for Hyper Light Drifter shows the $40 tier performed very well by contributing around 22% of the project's funding and was selected by around 14% of the backers. Another note is that the $10 and $15 tiers contributed almost the same amount in pledges.

There are two action platformers that caught my attention last week. The first is Magicite and it has already reached its tiny $1,000 goal. The second one is Legend of the Lancer and it has not been doing well. I like the art for Lancer, but the low framerate to the animations makes the game look like it is lagging in the pitch video. The animated GIFs on the project page look nice and smooth.

An interesting development in the realm of crowdfunding is the Square Enix Collective platform with the idea of stricter curation of indie game projects. The role that publisher will have in the process is still not as defined as it could be. It could produce some interesting results if they get the system right.

Another thing to mention is the new Sidekick tool that tries to predict which campaigns are likely to make their goals or not. KickSpy has also been implementing project features about the trendlines for projects. There are common scenarios where Kicktraq currently doesn't do a good job with its projections, such as not anticipating the last 48 hour surge, so it might need to make improvements to remain a leading tool project creators use.

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
  • The Dorothy to your Dark Oz
    • View Profile
    • 8:30 to Awesome
« Reply #161 on: October 14, 2013, 04:17:59 AM »
I wish I had more disposable income than I do because I'd back Corner Stone. Really want to see it make it but just don't have the funds to help out.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 17, 2013, 01:09:42 PM »
The wave of good projects launching in the middle of the month has started for this October.

A first-person phyiscs puzzle game with a good aesthetic and interesting trailer dialogue is called SCALE. This could be an interesting campaign to watch.

One project that stalled on day 1 was a viking side scroller called Valhalla: A Viking's Beard that has only one other backer than myself so far. I see the thumbnail as a major problem for getting people to click, while the game itself has some good personality. I did a Google search looking for any promotion outside of Kickstarter and didn't find any besides Facebook.

Cyan, the creators of Myst, are trying to make a new game through Kickstarter with Obduction. It is a very weird setup campaign with a pitch video that felt a bit too long. It will likely still make it because there is so much nostalgia to use to get backers.

A post on the official Kickstarter blog announced support for project creators in Australia and New Zealand like there is for the UK and Canada. November 13th is the launch day.

RimWorld was greenlit very fast. The Kicktraq page shows the campaign has great momentum.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 23, 2013, 06:15:52 PM »
Both Knite & The Ghost Lights (80.9%) and Cornerstone (79.5%) look like they are going to make it, but they will be relying on the last 48 hours surge.

Onto some recently launched campaigns.

Dropsy has relaunched. It should reach the 30% tipping point before the day is over. There have been a lot of progress since the last campaign.

Night In The Woods is another adventure game that has music that reminds me of Gravity Falls. Overall its has good atmosphere.

Viktor is an action sidescroller with a dodge mechanic that functions through solid objects in the environment.

Unsworn is a sci-fi ARPG that has had a slow start.

Confederate Express is a tactical RPG about a character delivering packages during a zombie outbreak.

It will be interesting to see how difficult getting press coverage for projects will be during the launch of the Xbox One and PS4.

Skwiziks

• Forgekeeper
  • So, how about that Cartographer?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 23, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »

* Permissions

• You can't post new topics.
  • You can't post replies.
  • You can't post attachments.
  • You can't modify your posts.