Author Topic: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.  (Read 423209 times)

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
  • The meanest Dolphin you'll ever meet.
    • View Profile
Re: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.
« Reply #165 on: October 24, 2013, 06:11:59 AM »
It will be interesting to see how difficult getting press coverage for projects will be during the launch of the Xbox One and PS4.

I wouldn't attempt as risky campaign during that time.
By logic, kickstarter campaigns during christmas won't be very successful as well.

LobsterSundew

• Delver's Drop - Early Access Players
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Lobster's List for Kickstarter
« Reply #166 on: October 30, 2013, 01:48:25 AM »
Has "The Mandate" been brought up yet?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964463742/the-mandate

I don't see it mentioned here before. The 3D space battles do show off a good style to them and it is great that there was a bits like infantry combat to show in the pitch. There are some well done parts to the campaign, like the strong concept art and the ship designer demo, but from the start it didn't look like a viable campaign with that $500,000 goal. The current average is $42.75 per backer and it would take about 7,251 more backers to reach its goal even if it could maintain that high average. The Kicktraq data has it still getting solid numbers of new backers each day. It does have a 60 day long campaign, so something could happen between now and its last 48 hours to give it enough of a boost to potentially get funded.

By logic, kickstarter campaigns during christmas won't be very successful as well.

The months of December and June each year seem to be poor performers ever since I began following Kickstarter in 2011. September 2012 was bad because of all the UK-based projects launching at the same time.

A recent campaign launch is The Girl and the Robot is a 3D action adventure. I'm reminded of Castle in the Sky when I see it. It has good art direction and if it gets some more robust puzzles there is a lot of potential. The combat looks good, but I don't know how it actually feels.
Often a day 1 backer of Kickstarter projects.
http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/iankragh

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
  • The Dorothy to your Dark Oz
    • View Profile
    • 8:30 to Awesome
« Reply #167 on: October 30, 2013, 10:06:29 AM »
Really glad to see Cornerstone make it, the demo was a lot of fun.

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 30, 2013, 12:45:01 PM »
Really glad to see Cornerstone make it, the demo was a lot of fun.

Forgot to back that, damn....

@Lobster: I blame you for not telling us about Project Phoenix! This really looks like a good game.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 30, 2013, 04:20:41 PM »
The shape of the data for Cornerstone was similar in many ways to that of the data for Neverending Nightmares, although Neverending Nightmares had a much larger surge at the end. If this pattern continues it will make simulating campaigns easier, but I really need to find some more ways to innovate with reward structures as seeking out an optimum structure for profit margins just leads to massproduced reward structures that just have the name of the game swapped in and that could get boring.

@Lobster: I blame you for not telling us about Project Phoenix! This really looks like a good game.

There were many parts of that campaign I disliked so I didn't promote it. The pitch video really unimpressed me with its first 2 minutes as I see similar from junk campaigns. I see hundreds of poorly setup campaigns per year by going over every video game project that launches. They are often too vague and make promises like AAA quality. Project Phoenix felts like a bad presentation to me. There was the "In game battle concept of Project Phoenix" mockup screenshot and not much else early on. I see more gameplay explanations were added after the launch. The rewards were structured fine. If famous talent had not been attached it I don't think it would have been funded.

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 30, 2013, 05:03:31 PM »
I know DDrop had the same problem, but I'm getting rather, excuse my language here, pissed off by exclusive ingame items by now.

I drew back from Hyper Light Drifter because they had like 70$ for an alternative character. They later added explaination that it would be added later, but at the same time another exclusive was announced.

It's really disencouraging customers when major elements are not ingame because you came to late or didn't want to pay 300% or the game's price upfront.

Coby

• Pixelscopic
  • Prism Seer
  • Deep in the Depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 30, 2013, 05:06:12 PM »
If it makes you feel any better (I doubt it does) I have told a few other developers who have asked us for advice to avoid in-game content rewards.

Programmer for Delver's Drop

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 30, 2013, 06:26:43 PM »
If it makes you feel any better (I doubt it does) I have told a few other developers who have asked us for advice to avoid in-game content rewards.

That's a pretty good thing to do, especially since the rewards are done so early that it's easy to make mistakes.

Maybe I'm just getting too worked up and need to exercise more self restrain...

PS: It's admirable how you opt for sharing your newfound knowledge with others.

Coby

• Pixelscopic
  • Prism Seer
  • Deep in the Depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 30, 2013, 06:52:40 PM »
Doesn't happen much anymore, as I suspect we are kind of old news in the Kickstarter world. For a few months after our campaign though, we were inundated with requests for advice, reviewing KS pages, etc. Most of the folks who got in touch seemed to be capable and passionate devs, so dispensing any of the little wisdom we may have was a no brainer. There were a couple of...suspect cases, but such is the world.

Deltius

• The Devient
  • Most Wize Sage
  • The mouth may lie, but never the eyes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 30, 2013, 10:52:49 PM »
Not sure if any of y'all are into comics/graphic novels but I came across RUIN  via Kickstarter and it really caught my attention!  Looks to have a pretty interesting story/setting and I'm loving the art for it.  I recommend checking it out!   
“If you want to say something and have people listen then you have to wear a mask. If you want to be honest then you have to live a lie.” -Banksy

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 31, 2013, 03:00:06 PM »
As long as they have digital versions, I'm all for visual novels. I saw Ruin some time ago, but somehow I can't get comfortable with this weird as punk hairstyle. It just looks like apocalypse hipster. The gated off updates don't help either...

The rest, however, looks promising.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 02, 2013, 11:11:01 PM »
Kickstarter-exclusive digital content could require a log-in system which then could prevent the game from being truly DRM-free or the controversial topic of DLC. I've had a game release a file to be dragged into the install folder to unlock the Kickstarter skin. Sometimes it is a cheatcode the creators asks to not have shared outside of the backers of the game. There could also be instructions for how to access a hidden area. I do think Kickstarter-exclusive content can be a good thing, especially for MMOs, but I like to see at least some of it included at the main pre-order tier instead of high priced ones.

Doesn't happen much anymore, as I suspect we are kind of old news in the Kickstarter world. For a few months after our campaign though, we were inundated with requests for advice, reviewing KS pages, etc. Most of the folks who got in touch seemed to be capable and passionate devs, so dispensing any of the little wisdom we may have was a no brainer. There were a couple of...suspect cases, but such is the world.

Delver's Drop was one of the big campaigns when it ran and people often want to try to emulate success. Projects like Hyper Light Drifter should now stand out more recently in the memories of project creators scrambling to get ready to launch. Delver's Drop being at PAX also likely contributed to people coming to you for advice. On a side note, it is also common for the forums of kickstarted games to eventually slow down until the game launches. It can be easy to wander off to the forums of a newer kickstarted game. When the game launches then backers flood back in, but sometimes the forums become empty again and other times they thrive after. I think it depends on how many backers there are to keep the forums interesting.

Paradise Lost: First Contact is a stealth game where you control an alien plant-like lifeform.

There is a project for The 7th Guest 3: The Collector. The original game was one of the first CD-ROM distributed games and had full motion video.

A countdown has started for the Monday launch of STASIS. That could become one of the big campaigns for November. The execution of the isometric graphics is very interesting.

Coby

• Pixelscopic
  • Prism Seer
  • Deep in the Depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 12, 2013, 10:36:37 AM »
I really like the visuals of Paradise Lost: First Contact. Delicious pixels. STASIS looks really polished and professionally executed. I haven't been able to get into a point and click adventure in quite a while, but I'd probably give this one a shot.

Figured I would post Catacomb Kids since there are a lot of rogue-like (and rogue-like-like) fans around here.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 14, 2013, 12:23:53 AM »
If you liked Don't Starve then maybe take a look at Dyscourse as it is an interesting project that feels similar. I like how it used its two $15 tiers.

Interstellaria is a sci-fi sandbox space game in addition to a platformer when visiting the surface of worlds.

Sprite Lamp is a tool for making normal maps for game sprites.

There haven't been many other projects that have launched this month that caught my attention.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 24, 2013, 03:00:57 PM »
Dropsy was recently picked up by the publisher of Hotline Miami. Devolver Digital has said it will assist with QA, marketing and localization.

Scraps is a physics-based car combat and construction game that looks fun but has been going unnoticed.

LISA the painful RPG is a 2D survival game set in a wasteland without women ruled by bizarre characters. It feels like a darker Earthbound.

Tiny Trek is a small space game with a very retro colour palette. It looks like it was made for a more powerful Atari 2600.

* Permissions

• You can't post new topics.
  • You can't post replies.
  • You can't post attachments.
  • You can't modify your posts.