Author Topic: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.  (Read 432448 times)

Quady14

• Lost Archivist of The Drop, Prone to Digression
  • Most Wize Sage
  • With A Buzz In Our Ears, We Play Endlessly
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
Re: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.
« Reply #180 on: November 24, 2013, 03:23:17 PM »
Dropsy looks terrifyingly trippy. That theme in the trailer is eerie as all hell!

I remember playing LISA on RPG Maker, where you actually played as Lisa, and the main character of this new iteration was the recurring antagonist... Kind of interesting that it's being expanded on... It was a pretty uncomfortable game though, I'll say that much. I don't know that I'm gonna follow it, but they've certainly got a flair for the bizarre, I have to give them that much.

Thanks again for this thread Lobster, it has enlightened me to both strange and fantastical things XD
(Name Contributor of Rauzdauer the Mulletworthy!)

Coby

• Pixelscopic
  • Prism Seer
  • Deep in the Depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 26, 2013, 01:50:20 PM »
The Catacomb Kids dev released a short but really interesting gameplay video that I thought might pique the interests of some of you all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N59tLIvQeJE

Programmer for Delver's Drop

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
  • The Dorothy to your Dark Oz
    • View Profile
    • 8:30 to Awesome
« Reply #182 on: November 26, 2013, 03:32:57 PM »
The Catacomb Kids dev released a short but really interesting gameplay video that I thought might pique the interests of some of you all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N59tLIvQeJE

Really cool video and interesting game. Thanks for continuing to highlight it Coby!

Quady14

• Most Wize Sage
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #183 on: November 26, 2013, 04:51:54 PM »
Damn, never before have I seen a game with so many uses for a simple rock! I like this guy's ideas on design, so intricate! If he puts the same care into every item in the game and how the interact with one another Catacomb Kids is gonna be one hell of a blast to play XD

Quady14

• Most Wize Sage
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #184 on: November 28, 2013, 01:25:59 AM »
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1481457176/king-voxel

Just got a message about this game on Youtube. Looking at the Kickstarter video, it's... Maybe a little shoddy with the corny sound effects and obvious green screen, but I feel like the game itself is at least somewhat noteworthy with some decent voxel art, (the animation on some of bosses is pretty nice) world generation and character customization systems.

The character creator actually reminds me a lot of the Shadowbox function in ZBrush, I thought it was a clever approach to customizing voxel art myself. Comparing it to the character creator in 3D Dot Game Heroes, both have their ups and downs in the selection methods they used, and I might prefer 3D Dot Game Heroes' system slightly, but nonetheless it's neat that he was able to implement all of this.

Of course, with only 6 days left and 18,538 dollars left to raise, I think this one might be dead in the water already. Still, I wouldn't say it looks bad at all, just not marketed well enough and maybe shooting for too high a funding value. It's kind of hard to market in the first place given its similarities to so many other games; too similar at base, with not enough to set it apart perhaps. It also doesn't help that some of the descriptions of things on the Kickstarter page sound like it's addressing a younger audience, when I don't imagine Kickstarter being too highly populated with kids, "Voxelot is infested with all sorts of monsters!  Drillshells drill up out of the ground below your feet.  Lions get mad and charge if they see you.  Wizards warp to different locations.  Ghosts can become invisible.  Roaches need to be stepped on.  Madusa can turn you into stone in the middle of battle!  Devils 'n dragons are just mean!" It's just hard to take seriously. Ah well, any impressions from you guys? I just see it as a bit of a bummer for the guy. I wish him better luck next time at the very least!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 01:32:58 AM by Quady14 »

Knight Pattern

• Delver's Drop - Early Access Players
  • Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 28, 2013, 01:28:42 AM »
Huuuuu that Catacomb Kids video sort of sold me on the product (not enough to back on kickstarter but enough to purchase sometime after release).

Not really digging the visuals still though. Also best be a way to rob/murder the shopkeepers, etc.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Lobster's List for Kickstarter
« Reply #186 on: December 06, 2013, 10:44:20 PM »
Thanks again for this thread Lobster, it has enlightened me to both strange and fantastical things XD

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Festival of Magic is a 3D RPG that is well made, but $250,000 is a large goal for this time of year. I currently only see three active projects (Stasis, Deathfire and The 7th Guest 3) that have surpassed the $100,000 mark and all of those are ending soon.

There is a N64-inspired 3D platforming collect-a-thon game called Lobodestroyo. It has 4 days to raise $10,593.

Sewer Rats is a campaign with only 3 backers so far. I like the 1930s-inspired style to the 3D models.
Often a day 1 backer of Kickstarter projects.
http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/iankragh

Quady14

• Most Wize Sage
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #187 on: December 07, 2013, 12:11:01 AM »
Sewer Rats' visual style and concept look and sound fantastic. I'm really surprised at the lack of support on this one. Not marketed well enough I suppose? I really hope things turn around for them, or they find an alternative route to release their game, because I'd really like to see where they go with it.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Lobster's List for Kickstarter
« Reply #188 on: December 15, 2013, 03:52:56 AM »
A lot of campaigns I would label as "lower quality" have been popping up like crazy over the last few weeks. I speculate that many people decided to launch a campaign when their college semester ended or vacations from work  began.

A common piece of Kickstarter advice has been to run a Kickstarter campaign for exactly 30 days. I now see that it is worth it to extend beyond that by 5 days or less if it better repositions the last 48 hours. That often means extending to end on a Sunday night so social media and blog coverage can more effectively use a weekend for the "save this campaign" posts instead of a weekday. December is so slow, that I think that the 30 day rule might even need an exception for so late in the year. The disadvantage of longer campaigns are often that it is harder to properly maintain momentum, but the Christmas season wrecks the momentum anyways. The idea is that because December is not an optimum time to run a campaign, campaigns get longer so that they can slow burn until they end in January when things are hopefully better.

Long Night only has 34 backers so far. It is a 3D survival horror game with a demo.

Project Nimbus is a mecha combat game. I like the style of its presentation, but the rewards structure is a bit strange with a range of just £1 to £25.

Fight The Dragon is a hack and slash with a dungeon constructing feature.

War of Omens is a digital CCG that is not a Magic The Gathering clone. It was inspired by Dominion. This and Hearthstone are the two CCGs I hope to play in 2014.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhP52eEK9mQ
Often a day 1 backer of Kickstarter projects.
http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/iankragh

Quady14

• Most Wize Sage
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #189 on: December 15, 2013, 01:56:47 PM »
Yeah, going back to Sewer Rats it still only has 7 backers and 122 dollars out of their goal of 28k with 15 days left. Seems pretty dead in the water at this point :(

Project Nimbus looks pretty promising too, very Armored Core-esque. Fight the Dragon's got a pretty engaging combat system as dungeon crawlers go, and the dungeon editor system looks pretty robust.

I dunno, maybe they aren't top quality, but I think they've all got their own sense of charm to em. Like you said though, the holidays are probably just not a great time to start big crowdfunding campaigns like this when many people are spending money on present shopping already.

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 15, 2013, 06:49:59 PM »
Project Nimbus does look really cool but ya...that's a really weird set up. Not only a limited number of Alpha builds to give away but only up to 25 dollars as a max pledge and a set target of 6K.

Quady14

• Most Wize Sage
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #191 on: December 15, 2013, 10:16:52 PM »
I guess they're hoping people will pledge over the max reward level out of support of the project? Maybe so everybody up to 25 dollars feels equally rewarded and there aren't weird exclusive rewards way high up on the list? But I don't know if that's an effective way to format things. A Night in the Woods found a really nice balance, putting out a limited amount of stretch goals that they didn't overstep their boundaries on, they offered some unique rewards for higher pledges, it just seemed pretty well done overall to me. I guess maybe the Project Nimbus devs were looking in the wrong place to limit when it came to pledges and funding amounts. Hopefully it won't bite them in the butt come the end of their campaign.

Zillie

• Whisper from the Spire's Depths
  • Forgekeeper
  • (ZillieZephyr)
    • View Profile
    • visit Pixelscopic
« Reply #192 on: January 15, 2014, 03:33:06 PM »
Coby just showed me this one. I'm sooooo freakin stoked about it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rain-world/project-rain-world
UI / UX Design at Pixelscopic. As for now, the forum stuff hates me and keeps demoting me to Early Access instead of a Pixelscopic team member. Don't worry though—I'm a legitimate employee.

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 15, 2014, 03:42:18 PM »
Coby just showed me this one. I'm sooooo freakin stoked about it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rain-world/project-rain-world

That is so adorable. I sorta want a slugcat.

Quady14

• Most Wize Sage
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #194 on: January 15, 2014, 04:18:19 PM »
That's fantastic, I'll have to keep an eye on that one, looks like it's got some pretty intense chase sections to it. I like this a lot :D

* Permissions

• You can't post new topics.
  • You can't post replies.
  • You can't post attachments.
  • You can't modify your posts.