Author Topic: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.  (Read 412486 times)

LobsterSundew

• Delver's Drop - Early Access Players
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Lobster's List for Kickstarter
Re: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.
« Reply #195 on: January 16, 2014, 08:36:33 PM »
Interestingly, a lot of projects I have backed decided January was the time to break their silence and give project updates. With this week it feels like Kickstarter is getting busy again after the December slowdown. There wasn't many video game campaigns worth noting until this week. The first two projects I backed for 2014 were the film projects Kung Fury and Warriors of Kitri.

Project Rain World is currently grabbing a lot of attention. It has great art.

Olympia Rising is a 2D action adventure game with a demo. There is a lot I think this small project page did right with its presentation.

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is from game designer Brad McQuaid. The project's presentation could have been more refined.

Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians is a tactics RPG with people Final Fantasy Tactics involved. It too is a project with the names of famous game developers attached, but is lacking in information about the game itself.

Wayward Terran Frontier is a spacegame with a long 13 minute pitch. I did really like the use of animated GIFs on the project page.

Algo-Bot is a puzzle game with robots that has some good personality to its pitch video.

LEVEL is another puzzle game with robots.

Big news was that The Banner Saga and Broken Age have their first parts now released to backers.
Often a day 1 backer of Kickstarter projects.
http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/iankragh

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 26, 2014, 12:27:57 AM »
An RPG developed with Cryengine called Kingdom Come: Deliverance is approaching £450,000 in pledges and 15,000 backers.

Cradle is also using Cryengine.

La-mulana 2 is a sequel to a 2005 game from Japan.

To The Death is a beat'en up that looks fun, but a $400,000 goal looks difficult for the campaign.

Savage: The Shard of Gosen is a small campaign for a platformer RPG like Volgarr.

With February approaching there should be a lot of new campaigns getting ready. I've started a new Imgur album for 2014. I wanted to have an updated Kickstarter guide ready this month to explain how to both track and interpret the bar charts, but illness and college have delayed it.

Knight Pattern

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 02, 2014, 12:29:06 AM »
Super pumped for La Mulana 2, the first game is so, so good. The pitch video referencing how some people refer to it as the Dark Souls of Metroidvania got a chuckle out of me (mainly cause most of La Mulana's challenge comes from the puzzles and not the combat).

I back very few kickstarters but LM2 is a game I have the upmost faith in.

Coby

• Pixelscopic
  • Prism Seer
  • Deep in the Depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 10, 2014, 02:41:36 PM »
When I saw the first promos for Darkest Dungeon a few months back, I really liked it. I was fortunate to have a chance to briefly play an early build and it definitely has a ton of potential and is very well put together. They just went up on Kickstarter and it looks like they are going to destroy their goal.

Programmer for Delver's Drop

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
  • The Dorothy to your Dark Oz
    • View Profile
    • 8:30 to Awesome
« Reply #199 on: February 10, 2014, 02:52:32 PM »
Took a look from your tweet, game looks awesome as hell. Will be keeping my eye on it but sadly don't have the cash to donate.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 10, 2014, 03:38:45 PM »
On February 4th there was some changes made to Kickstarter itself again. Users can now easily see their active pledges for campaigns that aren't yet ended.

I was waiting for Darkest Dungeon to launch since seeing it on Prefundia. There are many parts of the campaign that look excellently well done.

Classroom Aquatic is an interesting premise for an Oculus Rift game where you have to take a test with dolphins. I liked the personality of the game's presentation.

39 Days to Mars is a two player co-op adventure game set in a steampunk universe. A copy of the game is at the $2 reward which isn't too inefficient when the goal is a relatively low $1,000 NZD.

Catapult for Hire is a 3D puzzle game where you utilize a teleporting catapult and a variety of payloads to navigate levels. The gameplay example in the last half of the pitch is more impressive than the actual trailer.

Nevermind is a first-person horror game with the option to use a heart-rate sensor to influence in game events.

FRAMED looks like an indie Heavy Rain. The rewards do not make sense to me from multiple perspectives such as what should be the main reward tier limited to 5,000 slots so it can only contribute a third of the minimum goal.

A combination of being sick and college has forced me to take a break from helping to run campaigns. With the Sochi Olympics right now I don't know how good a time it would be to run a campaign.

A Minecraft film has been cancelled after raising $63,980. Notch tweeted that the project creator had not made a deal with them in advance of the launch.

A unique Kickstarter is to buy a burrito. It is campaigns like this that test the interpretations of Kickstarter's guidelines. It has a $8 goal and it is at $171 right now.

Coby

• Pixelscopic
  • Prism Seer
  • Deep in the Depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 10, 2014, 06:44:12 PM »
And I have another one! This one just went live, literally, 5 minutes ago :D

Hive Jump by Graphite Lab

Graphite Lab is a small studio up in St. Louis (about 3 hours from us) that we've done some work with in the past. Their studio director, Matt Raithel, was also mine and Baker's boss many many moons ago when we were doing handheld work on the GBA and DS. Raithel's a good guy and has a nice group put together at his studio, so if you guys are looking for some multi-player shooter action, perhaps you will dig HJ.

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
  • The Dorothy to your Dark Oz
    • View Profile
    • 8:30 to Awesome
« Reply #202 on: February 10, 2014, 06:47:34 PM »
And I have another one! This one just went live, literally, 5 minutes ago :D

Hive Jump by Graphite Lab

Graphite Lab is a small studio up in St. Louis (about 3 hours from us) that we've done some work with in the past. Their studio director, Matt Raithel, was also mine and Baker's boss many many moons ago when we were doing handheld work on the GBA and DS. Raithel's a good guy and has a nice group put together at his studio, so if you guys are looking for some multi-player shooter action, perhaps you will dig HJ.

Another really awesome looking one Coby, love me some Multi-Player games. I'll check this one out for sure.

crinaya

• Forgekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 13, 2014, 10:18:36 PM »
It looks like Darkest Dungeon is getting some of the same flak that Delver's did...  The exclusive class.

I might drop in for $15 just to get the game, but I don't know about $49 just for another class.  I dropped $60 for Delver's just to get the exclusive class, and looking back I'm not sure if I want to continue following that path.

Coby

• Pixelscopic
  • Prism Seer
  • Deep in the Depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 14, 2014, 12:25:41 AM »
Yep, they are getting serious flack over that, almost exactly like we did. The only difference being that they are leaving it as is and we made the concession to implement the sharing system. Had I the fortune to have seen their KS preview, I would have vehemently told them to avoid the exclusive character. I believe Hyper Light Drifter also had that problem, and then late in the campaign made it available as a pack on kind of thing.

I'm pretty sure we were not the first indie team to put a exclusive class in a KS, but I really hope we didn't influence these later KSs that did as well. Most of the flak we received died and is buried on the KS pages so unless you read every single comment from the beginning of time, you'd probably never know that it was a big issue.

And I don't blame you for not wanting to fork out the extra cash - and I also thank you greatly for your support :)

Speaking of exclusive classes and what not, we have internally finalized the sharing system. It's going to be awesome and I think it may be the first of its kind. I'm pretty sure everyone will be pleased.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 15, 2014, 12:01:02 AM »
I'll include the advice to be careful about exclusive content in my updated guide.

Galactic Princess is a 2D pixel art game where you captain a smuggler ship and engage in combat with other ships.

Heart&Slash is a 3D brawler with a focus on weapons.

I actually had trouble to get onto Kickstarter today due to an error message. The status page says "Investigating" for February 14th.

About Hive Jump.

The graph looks like a campaign that isn't at full speed yet. There is not many days of data. It is after the first week that the trough period begins.
http://imgur.com/MEk009c

Their thumbnail is great. The pitch video is efficient at the start and while it is slow in the middle it still has good content. The constant gunfire popping sound effect feels good. Skimming over the project page I saw no fatal flaws. The developer is showing enough communication with backers.

February 13th was when the project shortlink starting seeing better numbers for being shared. Twitter is the dominant contributor of click.
http://kck.st/MGqqEp+ (The URL doesn't like to be properly parsed here for some reason)

Hive Jump needs to do more promotion like posting to Screenshot Saturday. I only see two related Reddit posts 1 2, but those were not in subreddits I would go to lfirst like /r/kickstarter. Even mentioning Kickstarter in the title will get a post downvotes in /r/gaming and /r/2Dgaming only has 110 subscribers. There is list of gaming subreddits.

There was an IndieGames.com mention and a few other blog posts but nothing huge yet for coverage. It was good to see that there was some day 1 coverage. A blogger posted a critique. I agree on the point of the Twitter being new. I'd rather see a campaign with a goal too high than too low and a console version is an increase in scope. The timing of the campaign is good, but there is just the problem of a few giant campaigns right now like Unsung soaking up attention.

If the game is as playable as it looks, then there is the opportunity to send the alpha to high profile Let's Players that record in groups like the guys at Steam Train. By using Sprite Lamp, they could also try to get some support from that community. Linux support often means Linux gamers will be adding it to wiki lists and Linux gaming bloggers mentioning it eventually.

A good practice is to track the number of views they are getting for their pitch video.

If they can get to 500 backers their chances go up, so that could be a short term goal to focus on. They are 17th in popularity for the active Video Game projects which is not bad. At their current momentum I don't expect them to make it over 70%. The Kicktraq trend is less than 30%. Next Monday I would expect to see an increase in momentum because some big campaigns will be over. The per backer average pledge is $31.17 that is a bit high. It looks like they will need to aim for over 2,000 backers overall to reach their goal. If they can do well in the Kickstarter trough they could make it, but that will need more exposure.

Coby

• Pixelscopic
  • Prism Seer
  • Deep in the Depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 16, 2014, 04:21:50 PM »
Oooh Heart&Slash looks really nicely done. I think I've seen that game somewhere before...I wonder if its from TIGSource. I'm usually not a big fan of 3D hack and slash / action adventure games, but I really like what they have put together so far.

I shall have to read a bit more about Galactic Princess. Just skimming the page and looking at images it seems very much in the FTL realm, which isn't a "genre" that I gets my excitement bones exciting, but the art style is pretty cool and intrigues me.

Thanks for the well thought analysis of HJ - I appreciate you taking the time to divulge your thoughts on it. They are having a pretty tough go of it right now, and although they are really cranking away on more (and more interesting) updates and stuff, I wonder if the lack of initial momentum is going to cripple them.

I assume every one already knows this, but KS had a security breach last week and asked everyone to reset their passwords. So if you haven't done that, you might want to.

Quady14

• Lost Archivist of The Drop, Prone to Digression
  • Most Wize Sage
  • With A Buzz In Our Ears, We Play Endlessly
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #207 on: February 16, 2014, 04:34:34 PM »
Heart & Slash looks right up my alley... I may have to back it, it's too sexy to pass up!
(Name Contributor of Rauzdauer the Mulletworthy!)

Juan Raigada

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 17, 2014, 01:04:30 PM »
Oooh Heart&Slash looks really nicely done. I think I've seen that game somewhere before...I wonder if its from TIGSource. I'm usually not a big fan of 3D hack and slash / action adventure games, but I really like what they have put together so far.

Yes, I started the TIGSource Devlog a long while ago!

Anyways, we got one backer from here, so I thought I'd just come by and say thanks!

Coby

• Pixelscopic
  • Prism Seer
  • Deep in the Depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 17, 2014, 07:26:42 PM »
Hey Juan, thanks for coming by the forums and now you have at least 2 backers from here :D

Just an FYI: on the Kickstarter page searching for "Heart and Slash" returned no results, which confused me. I realize the ampersand is part of the title, but if you can include "Heart, "and", "Slash" in your meta search terms, it might be a good idea? I'm not even sure you can do that on a KS page, but its food for thought. Good luck with your campaign!

* Permissions

• You can't post new topics.
  • You can't post replies.
  • You can't post attachments.
  • You can't modify your posts.