Author Topic: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.  (Read 347854 times)

crinaya

• Delver's Drop - Early Access Players
  • Forgekeeper
    • View Profile
Re: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.
« Reply #210 on: February 20, 2014, 11:50:20 AM »
Yep, they are getting serious flack over that, almost exactly like we did. The only difference being that they are leaving it as is and we made the concession to implement the sharing system.

Delver's Drop has actually been brought up in conversation several times as a "Way to fix the exclusive class problem," but it doesn't look like Red Hook is going to follow in your footsteps. 

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Lobster's List for Kickstarter
« Reply #211 on: February 23, 2014, 03:22:22 AM »
The error messages I mentioned in my previous post were likely related to the security breach incident.

How easy a project's title is to search is something that project creators should think about.

I noticed the general quality of campaigns has been really low this month. There haven't been many to post about here. There is Shrug Island that is a warm coloured adventure game still sitting with less than 50 backers. The pitch for Treachery in Beatdown City has a catchy song at 00:25.

An interesting campaign is The Mini Museum because it can be used as an example for how to do many many small things right. It tells an interesting story, it creates a sense of scarcity for the rewards, the video is well filmed, it builds up confidence in the skills of the project creator and rewards are attractive.

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen raised $460,657 but didn't make its $800,000 goal. I've been looking at how weird their graph turned out (There is the error of the $250 tier swapped so ignore that). The $10,000 tier looks like money from friends. The backer distribution is way too far towards the heavy end. It is another case of a well known game designer immediately trying to reboot somewhere else after the first attempt fails. In many ways I see that as a horrible idea. Rebooting immediately burns the backers out and often doesn't leave time for feedback and changes go not made. With past examples it also looks like a large portion of backers don't follow them to the new campaign because it gains the disadvantages of a flexible funding style campaign.

The graph for Heart&Slash shows it is steadily growing and it is already close to its goal. I found out about Kicktops.com for the first time after the project page was updated.

I wonder if indie game devs will now have a new gameplay genre to work with due to the experiment that is Twitch Plays Pokemon. They could make turn-based games with the same formula of thousands of people doing inputs to control one protagonist, but potentially a lot less resources/latency because it would be user clients being updated with the game state and recent moves instead of distributing a video stream and having to parse a laggy chatroom. There could be a lot of clones trying to get crowdfunded.

It is a weird feeling not helping run a campaign this month. It is like sitting around on the couch while knowing one should be doing the dishes. To fight the pseudo-withdrawal symptoms, here is more about Hive Jump with an updated graph.
http://imgur.com/B1pIDsc

That new $30 tier looks like it did a good job and at least one existing backer upgraded to it and then it became the dominant choice over the old version. The $100 and higher priced reward tiers have ceased growing. While the growth spike in pledges on February 14th looks good on Kicktraq, it doesn't look as good when it is seen on my graph that it was from the $200, $300 and $500 tiers that haven't done anything since. Good news is that the tiers ranging from $10 to $30 keep growing. If those tiers stop growing then the campaign has stalled.

Considering the $15 tier is not doing well because there is still $10 early-bird slots open, the distribution looks good and boring. There is the second normal curve that begins around the $100 tier which is another common thing to see. It continues to look like a campaign that is lacking exposure and not a problem with something like the rewards.

Hive Jump's popularity for the category has dropped to 20th. Some of its backers are sharing the link on forums. I like the pretty screenshots being posted on their Twitter. Their online presence is a bit stronger now, but not where it needs to be. I saw their Eight And A Half Bit Elevator Pitch episode in my subscription box. I see they posted to Screenshot Saturday 159. There hasn't been much else new related to them on Reddit besides two other posts. I'm wondering where most of the Facebook likes came from. The shortlink being shared has plummeted since a February 17th spike. Twitter continues to be the best performer. Project updates continue to be better than I expected.

Momentum continues to be the big problem with Kicktraq now showing a 17% trend. The top 4 most popular active video game projects seem to be soaking up most of the current pledges. Darkest Dungeon continues to be the current superstar and it like competing against another Hyper Light Drifter. They currently have 198 backers pledging $5375 for an average of $27.15 per backer. That is within the $25 to $30 range I like to see for a video game project that I'm treating as a being in the $10 class. When I compensate out the large backers from February 14th the average drops to $22.44 per backer. At that new average they would be looking at an simple pessimistic target of 3,000 backers to reach 100%. It still looks like they will need about 2,000 to 2,500 backers overall to reach their goal. The quality of the backers is high with many people that have backed tens of other campaigns. 13 of the backers are brand new accounts with the defualt blue squares image. I frequently see campaigns speed up after 500 backers, so that is what I would recommend again to be a short term goal. If they can get 500 backers with the current campaign and then come back with a reboot, they might get funded. I'd suggest having a demo ready before relaunching. While not impossible to get funded this time, there is just such a big momentum gap to try to fill.
Often a day 1 backer of Kickstarter projects.
http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/iankragh

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 27, 2014, 04:31:39 AM »
Hive Jump has its $10 to $30 reward tiers stalling. That is not good. I had gone to see the Kicktraq page thinking there might be an error with my spreadsheet but there wasn't as it turns out there were no net backers for February 26th. All I found for recent mentions of the campaign was episode 5 of The Gamers Lounge podcast and a forum post made by one of the podcast's members. What is strange is that the campaign shows up as ranked 5th in "Sorted By Magic" and ranked 25th in popularity for the category.

Koe is a charming JRPG for learning Japanese. It is good to see it gained some traction because I wasn't sure it was wondering if it would do well or not when I saw it new.

Gunscape is a Quake-like FPS with map construction.

Depth Test is a submarine constructor similar to the spaceship constructor games that are coming out.

Darkblood Chronicles is a JRPG-style game with some interesting pixel art.

Playing History - Vikings reminds me of Cornerstone: The Song of Tyrim.

Classroom Aquatic has been putting effort into trying to save the campaign. It has less than a week to cover a $10,000 gap. It could be a close finish.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 03, 2014, 07:48:12 PM »
Hive Jump cancelled itself. Below is a link to the updated graph. Comments were made that they want to reboot.
http://imgur.com/cLt31QN

If you like pipe organ music and pixel art then Spirit is an interesting little indie game. It is not easy for me to describe, but there is a demo for PC linked to from the project page.

Red Goddess is visually using colours of seasons well within its 2.5D environments. I've heard that song somewhere before. It is visuallly similar to Giana Sisters.

Axe Princess is a 2D beat'em up with top-heavy female sprites.

Toby's Island is a 2D RPG that looks like a lot of effort has already gone into it.

crinaya

• Forgekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 06, 2014, 04:25:06 PM »
This popped up in the PXS chat earlier today...

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/shaq-fu-a-legend-reborn

Very intriguing, but nothing I'm willing to put money on.

And on the board game side of Kickstarter...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/actionphasegames/heroes-wanted-a-tactical-board-game-for-1-5-heroes

Tactical Superhero board game full of zaniness and puns.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 09, 2014, 01:31:30 PM »
Proven Lands is a sci-fi game about surviving after a crashlanding on an unknown world. The music and environments create an interesting atmosphere.

Duelyst is a tactics game with squad members on a grid. The art assets are a strong point, but the launch seems a bit rough.

Earthlock: Festival of Magic has relaunched for another Kickstarter attempt. This is one of the more interesting campaigns to have launched so far in 2014.

This popped up in the PXS chat earlier today...

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/shaq-fu-a-legend-reborn

Very intriguing, but nothing I'm willing to put money on.

This new Shaq-Fu doesn't seem to take itself seriously enough to inspire confidence.

Coby

• Pixelscopic
  • Prism Seer
  • Deep in the Depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 14, 2014, 09:22:33 PM »
Duelyst is pretty.

Here is something that folks around here will most probably like: Hero Trap Looks pretty good!

Yeah, Hive Jump waived the white flag for now - too many issues to surmount to have a realistic chance. They will be back though and I think they learned a heck of a lot from this attempt. At the very, very least, a lot more people know about Hive Jump than before so that it only bodes well.

Programmer for Delver's Drop

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
  • The Dorothy to your Dark Oz
    • View Profile
    • 8:30 to Awesome
« Reply #217 on: March 27, 2014, 06:31:19 AM »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1451486150/choice-chamber

Saw this on Twitch. It's a game that aggregates twitch chat suggestions based on lists within the game that will then affect how the game is played. As a streamer it looks really promising. Having seen some videos of it as well, really looks like if it gets funded and finished it'll be a huge hit.

Ryan Baker

• Pixelscopic
  • Magus
    • View Profile
    • Pixelscopic
« Reply #218 on: April 16, 2014, 10:50:49 PM »
This is a very impressive-looking metroidvania (sidescroller) action RPG that Coby pointed out to me like 6 years ago. It looks pretty amazing, if a little odd: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1184202489/heart-forth-alicia

Pixelscopic Co-Founder, Vision Director

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
  • The Dorothy to your Dark Oz
    • View Profile
    • 8:30 to Awesome
« Reply #219 on: April 17, 2014, 12:05:27 AM »
It looks like La-Mulana meets David the Gnome. I love it, wish I had cash to throw at it.

Knight Pattern

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 18, 2014, 12:46:16 PM »
Heart Forth looks amazing and I'm almost sure to cough up some cash, though one of the people on the staff have some dreck worthy opinions on a certain game I hold in very high regard. At least it's not Ghost Song which looks great but the full creative control is behind one of those TLOU IS GOTG guys.

... but who I'm kidding that tier with the physical art book with lore expansion calls, does it call.

Ryan Baker

• Pixelscopic
  • Magus
    • View Profile
    • Pixelscopic
« Reply #221 on: May 05, 2014, 12:30:23 PM »
Check our the Delver's Drop print in this Kickstarter! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wedodostuff/pop-middle-ages

I personally want the He-Man and TMNT posters REAL BAD.

They got our permission, so it's "official" licensing :D or whatever.

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
  • The meanest Dolphin you'll ever meet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 06, 2014, 03:43:41 PM »
How did those come to be? Fanboyism? ;D

Ryan Baker

• Pixelscopic
  • Magus
    • View Profile
    • Pixelscopic
« Reply #223 on: May 06, 2014, 03:46:07 PM »
They contacted us a couple of months ago asking if they could do a print based on DDrop. They apparently contacted several indie devs, but it looks like only Shovel Knight and Awesomenauts agreed to let them do prints. I know for a fact they contacted several others, so I'm guessing those companies said "no."

crinaya

• Forgekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 08, 2014, 05:53:02 PM »
A few kickstarters on my radar:

Popup Dungeon

A user-generated-content heavy roguelike inspired by papercraft.  Features co-op play and a dungeon master mode where one player is the DM vs other players.

Amplitude

Rhythm games, my other love.  An HD remake of the Harmonix original game for PS3/PS4.  Short campaign duration and high funding goal, but they have a pretty strong user base to begin with.

For those of you who like your games in meat-space:

The Agents Return

A strategic card game, relaunched with some new balance changes and more expansions.  Highly recommended.

* Permissions

• You can't post new topics.
  • You can't post replies.
  • You can't post attachments.
  • You can't modify your posts.