Author Topic: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.  (Read 365542 times)

crinaya

• Delver's Drop - Early Access Players
  • Forgekeeper
    • View Profile
Re: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.
« Reply #225 on: May 18, 2014, 08:01:34 AM »
A small followup.

A few kickstarters on my radar:

Popup Dungeon

A user-generated-content heavy roguelike inspired by papercraft.  Features co-op play and a dungeon master mode where one player is the DM vs other players.

Funding successful.  8 hours to go.  Lots of cameo characters announced, and I might try adding in a papercraft DDrop rogue down the road if my art skills manage not to mangle it.

Amplitude

Rhythm games, my other love.  An HD remake of the Harmonix original game for PS3/PS4.  Short campaign duration and high funding goal, but they have a pretty strong user base to begin with.

Five days to go, less than half way funded.  Hard to be optimistic here...

For those of you who like your games in meat-space:

The Agents Return

A strategic card game, relaunched with some new balance changes and more expansions.  Highly recommended.

400+% funded, with a few more tempting stretch goals to go.  They also put in an addon for some pretty sweet looking 100mm miniatures.  The gameplay itself is pretty easy to learn, but the strategies and nuances are deep.

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
  • The meanest Dolphin you'll ever meet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 18, 2014, 12:39:01 PM »
No love for Witchmarsh here?

Yeah, it got the Hipster Light Drifter optic, but it looks promising, both idea and execution.

Quote from: crinaya on 2014-05-09, 00:53:02

Amplitude

Rhythm games, my other love.  An HD remake of the Harmonix original game for PS3/PS4.  Short campaign duration and high funding goal, but they have a pretty strong user base to begin with.

Five days to go, less than half way funded.  Hard to be optimistic here...

Playstation exclusive. Interlectual property or not, this is exactly the opposite of why most people go to kickstarter...

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
  • The Dorothy to your Dark Oz
    • View Profile
    • 8:30 to Awesome
« Reply #227 on: May 18, 2014, 02:22:28 PM »
I'm following Witchmarsh, but I don't have the cash. It looks interesting.

crinaya

• Forgekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 18, 2014, 02:39:03 PM »
Playstation exclusive. Interlectual property or not, this is exactly the opposite of why most people go to kickstarter...

Yeah, I know.  I happen to have a PS3, or I wouldn't be backing it either.  If they had a Steam Key option, they'd probably be rolling in cash by now.

Maybe they can go back to Sony and point out how they had over 7000 people ready to buy the game within thirteen days, and the number of gamers on Kickstarter must be significantly smaller than the number of gamers on PSN.

Coby

• Pixelscopic
  • Prism Seer
  • Deep in the Depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 19, 2014, 10:05:08 AM »
I showed everybody here in the office Witchmarsh the other day - just been too busy to post about it here --- argh!

Programmer for Delver's Drop

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Lobster's List for Kickstarter
« Reply #230 on: May 19, 2014, 03:20:31 PM »
Amplitude was both limited to Sony platforms (When hardcore PC and Linux gamers are influential that category on Kickstarter) and it had a short length of 18 days. An average of $50 per backer seems a bit high. It indicates passionate supporters, but also that the main pre-order tier for the game lacks growth. It still brought in an impressive amount on the first day. Right now 65.8% of its backers came from the first 48 hours according to Kicktraq. What surprises me is how low the number of comments per day has been on this project. I also did not see much blog presence for the project after its launch. There was a small bump in activity on May 15th when a Joystiq article was posted.

SUPERHOT is an example of a well presented campaign. Rage Ride seems to be an example of the exact opposite for presentation.

2D pixel art fans should look at Kingdom

Wish I Was Here and Blue Ruin were crowdfunded films that have released trailers.
Often a day 1 backer of Kickstarter projects.
http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/iankragh

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
  • The Dorothy to your Dark Oz
    • View Profile
    • 8:30 to Awesome
« Reply #231 on: May 19, 2014, 05:14:58 PM »
It's very good to see you back Sundew. We missed your input.

Coby

• Pixelscopic
  • Prism Seer
  • Deep in the Depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 20, 2014, 08:52:04 AM »
LobsterSundew, how we've missed you!

Hope all is going well for you :D

Programmer for Delver's Drop

Zillie

• Whisper from the Spire's Depths
  • Forgekeeper
  • (ZillieZephyr)
    • View Profile
    • visit Pixelscopic
UI / UX Design at Pixelscopic. As for now, the forum stuff hates me and keeps demoting me to Early Access instead of a Pixelscopic team member. Don't worry though—I'm a legitimate employee.

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
  • The meanest Dolphin you'll ever meet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 20, 2014, 01:40:26 PM »
Lobster is returning and mentions one great Kickstarter I forgot to mention! SUPERHOT. It really helps that they already have a decent playable version.

Amplitude backers at $50 per average isn't a suprise, because that's even below the average price for a Playstation title.

Universum looks kinda like spore. I'll check if they let me shape my plante into a culture of planet wrecking raiders. If that's possible, they can have my money. :D

crinaya

• Forgekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 21, 2014, 01:30:23 PM »
Remember, this Amplitude is supposed to be a PSN crossbuy title, probably retailing around $20.  The high pledges mean a truly dedicated fanbase.  (Plus they got $7500 from Insomniac, plus 3 other $7500 pledges, a $8000 pledge, and 3 $10000 pledges.)

However, they're currently at 640k/775k with 50 hours remaining.  I will definitely say that Harmonix did not run a strong campaign (no stretch goals, big gaps in tier pricing, very little publicity until just these last few days, not responsive on comments, and exclusive content behind a $100 pledge level), but they might just have enough fan support to pull it off.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 21, 2014, 08:07:57 PM »
Remember, this Amplitude is supposed to be a PSN crossbuy title, probably retailing around $20.  The high pledges mean a truly dedicated fanbase.  (Plus they got $7500 from Insomniac, plus 3 other $7500 pledges, a $8000 pledge, and 3 $10000 pledges.)

However, they're currently at 640k/775k with 50 hours remaining.  I will definitely say that Harmonix did not run a strong campaign (no stretch goals, big gaps in tier pricing, very little publicity until just these last few days, not responsive on comments, and exclusive content behind a $100 pledge level), but they might just have enough fan support to pull it off.

Yesterday there was a big surge in funds of $152,876 with 1,145 new backers for Amplitude. Right now they need about $100,000 more which they could do if more backers with deep pockets show up. Earlier it was looking like it might not make it. They finally saw the spike in the amount of comment activity that they need, but I see a total of just 11 comments for the project creator account. Big pledges from other devs have helped raise the per backer average to $67.72 which is not natural.

I stopped data collection for the Video Games category on March 16th. I wasn't ready to resume collecting when Amplitude launched. I plan to restart gathering data in June when the second campaign for Ray's The Dead goes live. Right now the two projects, mentioned below, are the only ones I'm currently tracking as I get ready.

Beast's Fury is a 2D fighting game. I see the project thumbnail itself as a big problem as the phoenix logo on black just doesn't indicate the quality of the campaign behind it; thus, casual browsers might dismiss it before clicking. Backing for a demo is okay, but it would be nice to have some way for people to get the full game or a discount if it ever gets made.

SumoBoy is an interesting project. It does have some good artistic direction, but I don't know if it will find its audience on Kickstarter.

I haven't seen an Australian Kickstarter campaign yet with a rewards structure that I liked. Often the basic pre-order is priced too high similar to how UK-based video game projects can feel overpriced compared to what North American prices are. Higher physical reward shipping costs, time-zone differences, potential backers having to deal with currency conversions and having to use the alternate system for processing cards put such campaigns at an even further disadvantage compared to North American ones.

It looks like Prefundia might have a problem with troll posts like ones for Hearthstone and Tales from the Borderlands.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 01, 2014, 05:58:24 PM »
Amplitude made it. There was the largest amount of unallocated funds (That I'm unable to link to reward tiers) I've seen so far for a Kickstarter campaign at 21.93%.

Beast's Fury is the first campaign I've ever considered cancelling my pledge to. Its management appears to be enough of a mess that it might not be worth the risk. The reward structure is also a mess with backers now getting an option for the full game at the $45 tier (Too expensive for me to jump up from the $10 tier). I might wait until the last day before pulling out.

A Song for Vigg is a point and click adventure game using graphical assets made out of photographed papercraft. The pitch video is very slow paced.

Tic Toc: Time is Your Sandbox is an ambitious idea. I get a Scribblenauts or No Time To Explain feeling from it. Even if the time idea becomes too ambitious, I see potential for fun gameplay in the way they handle world terrain and combat.

I found out about Kickstarter Insights recently. They have some graphs with project stats I took a look at.

SUCCESS RATE PER CATEGORY
Music, makes the people come together! Categories "Music" & "Art" generally have up to around 15% higher succes rate.

Many projects under the Music category have relatively small minimum goals. Smaller goals are linked to higher chance of success as a smaller campaign needs less to get to 100%. Also, Kickstarter staff generally favour such projects to get featured and I'm disappointed more video game projects don't get featured enough in the newsletters.

PROJECTS PER DURATION
By far, the most common duration for a project is 60 days, which has been the maximum duration for a Kickstarter project since the summer of 2011.

I assume a typing mistake was made as the bar chart shows a large spike at 30 days. I haven't been tracking the other categories enough, but I thought that 45 days length was more popular than 60 days. While there is a surge at 45 days length it is not as much as I'd thought. It is interesting that the default length for many video game campaigns is so rigidly 30 days while other categories can be more relaxed.

Success rate per duration
The sweet spot is around 4 weeks duration for your fundraising. The projects of 60 days, high in number of projects, actually show a drop in success rate.

4 weeks x 7 days per week = 28 days. That fits within the 30 days length default many advise. Remember that the sweetspot may be a result of 30 days length being such a popular choice because of the advice that 30 days length is the most successful. There are other factors like the difficulty in running a very long campaign without tiring out. 30 days also fits well into an individual month if you start at the beginning of it. Very long campaigns performing worse has been known for awhile. It is difficult to create a sense or urgency or confidence in a 60 day campaign.

NUMBER OF PROJECTS PER MONTH. December is a calm month for Kickstart. Maybe a good month without competition?

December has always felt like the most difficult month of the entire year. While there is a lack of competition, the disadvantages are too much. The big problem is the holidays with people travelling and purchasing gifts for relatives putting strain the budgets of potential backers. Bloggers also slow down and relax with annual retrospection pieces like top ten lists. Their graph feels right, except for November having more than October surprising me.

Success rate per month
February is the best month to start your project. Early spring seems perfect. December and January are (obviously) expensive months where most projects fail.

Janaury doesn't start to pick up momentum until around Janaury 6th and, as mentioned earlier, December is slow so there is no surprise about those two months being the worse. April looks better than I thought it would, but that may just be April being worse off for Video Games than other categories. February and March have been good months. I dislike running campaigns after October. In May the indie video game projects have to deal with competing with AAA title announcements for blogger attention. Slow periods are often visible as decrease in traffic to Kickstarter itself.

NUMBER OF PROJECTS PER DAY OF THE WEEK
Kickstarter is not a hobby. By far, most projects start during the week.

Their graph fits well with what I've been recommending since 2011. Expect Fridays and weekends to be slow, so wait until there is better traffic to launch.

SUCCESS RATE PER DAY OF THE WEEK
Starting your project towards the weekend makes solid drop in the success rate of your project.

Their graph is an even better illustration of why to avoid ending Thursday to Saturday. Sunday late at night is my favourite day to end because there can be a big social media campaign over the weekend rallying last minute backers. Sometimes high profile campaigns launch late Sunday just before midnight. I really do not like to see advice such as WIRED's article advising to end on a Saturday afternoon when the data I see says to stay away from Saturday.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 03, 2014, 09:09:44 PM »
I remembered there is a graph for average campaign duration per category on SideKick's site.

June has brought a new wave of projects. So far it has felt a bit weak, but here were some of the ones I'm following. Watching the character running away from mobs reminded me of Devler's Drop.

FranknJohn is one of the better looking of the new wave of June projects. It describes itself as a smash 'em up.

See No Evil is a little weak with its project page, but I liked the pitch video. It is an isometric puzzle game.

Mechagami is from the developer of the Chrontotron flash game.

BEARZERKERS is a multiplayer arena game with a panda bear rampaging around.

Skara The Blade Remains is an online PVP game. When I saw the project go live I don't think there was a pitch video uploaded. The name was familiar. A previous campaign made with a different account failed.

CrowdCharts has tracking of Kickstarter campaign stats in hourly increments. It also has a tiers split feature that I like. If it continues to improve its features I may start recommending it over Kicktraq because I've been waiting for a more sophisticated online tool for looking up performance of campaigns that I'm not tracking like Reading Rainbow's $3 million (so far) campaign.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 10, 2014, 11:50:41 PM »
With E3 2014 happening it should be another difficult time for projects to get press coverage.

There was a WSJ article with some cool charts comparing the different categories on Kickstarter.

HomeMake is a game with beautiful screenshots of a procedural city lining the inside of a sphere. It needs to work more on explaining its gameplay.

Paparazzi was the result of a game. One player control a pixel art celebrity trying to escape to a limosine while another player is the paparazzi trying to take photographs. The rewards are priced steep.

Deadskins is a campaign with undead native American combat that has an interesting feel to it, but the campaign is setup very rough with little chance of making its huge goal.

* Permissions

• You can't post new topics.
  • You can't post replies.
  • You can't post attachments.
  • You can't modify your posts.