Author Topic: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.  (Read 399726 times)

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
  • The Dorothy to your Dark Oz
    • View Profile
    • 8:30 to Awesome
Re: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.
« Reply #240 on: June 11, 2014, 12:10:27 AM »
Deadskins is a campaign with undead native American combat that has an interesting feel to it, but the campaign is setup very rough with little chance of making its huge goal.

The name is also...really questionable.

LobsterSundew

• Delver's Drop - Early Access Players
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Lobster's List for Kickstarter
« Reply #241 on: June 16, 2014, 08:37:03 PM »
Deadskins is a campaign with undead native American combat that has an interesting feel to it, but the campaign is setup very rough with little chance of making its huge goal.

I've now learned from Urban Dictironary it is a "Derogatory term for the washington redskins".

A lot of the smaller video game projects on Kickstarter have stalled out right now.

Catlateral Damage is a cat simulator where you can knock things over. It is already close to 500 backers on day 1.

Midora is a 2D action adventure game that has relaunched.

Glitch is a turn-based RPG. Go to the gameplay preview video first instead of the pitch video. The problem with this campaign is currently the pitch and project thumbnail don't convey much info about the game itself. The write-ups show some good ingredients for having strong characters.
Often a day 1 backer of Kickstarter projects.
http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/iankragh

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 16, 2014, 10:06:06 PM »

I've now learned from Urban Dictironary it is a "Derogatory term for the washington redskins".

I was mostly referring to it sounding a lot like Redskins, didn't know it was a slang for the team. I'm certain the game makers aren't looking to offend or anything but I think it might cause some backlash.

Quady14

• Lost Archivist of The Drop, Prone to Digression
  • Most Wize Sage
  • With A Buzz In Our Ears, We Play Endlessly
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #243 on: June 17, 2014, 02:59:33 AM »
Yeah, Redskins itself is a derogatory term for Native Americans, so the naming convention of Deadskins, while it lends to the whole undead Indians motif and is admittedly a little clever, could be construed as offensive.

Not necessary done with malicious intent at all, it sounds like Christopher Garnaas (the lead on the project) just has a concept he has faith in and wants to make something out of it, but I think with the unsavory historical association of the term, it is objectively a little ignorant of him and thus would be legitimate for some groups to be offended by it.

In the end, it comes down to who is using the term, how are they using it, and why. In Deadskin's case I want to say it has some small details in the campaign that are really questionable, game modes like "Capture the Scalp" really don't scream to me that they're trying to put Native American culture in a positive light, but I guess for the time it's set in it is something that did occur, and that you play as American Indian warriors fighting against a more vilified force in that it's a bunch of ruthless zombies, I guess it could be worse, but I feel like it's asking for trouble in a lot of places. I just don't know that making a whole game mode out of scalping a dude for the sake of avoiding just using a flag or different alternative is worth the controversy.

At the same time, it'd be unfair not to take into account that they're working on the project to try to entertain people with a unique approach to a zombie game, not tear down Native American culture. It certainly doesn't flaunt itself as an accurate portrayal by a long-shot XD
Visually it's definitely an eye-grabber with all the neon mixed in with the Wild West era setting (a bit of a confusing combination, but they did a decent job with it) and the gameplay, though pretty early and slippery-looking at this point, could definitely develop into something good. If there is any significant story, as long as it doesn't turn out with you fighting Giant Zombie General Custer while he spouts racist one-liners and fires cannons at you it should be okay, but yeah, this is one project that, granted it gets funded and/or developed, (I guess it's early to say but it seems the project's had a really slow start for its lofty goal) will need to tip-toe delicately around this sort of controversy when it comes to light with more public media sites.

Sadly I think this is the kind of stuff that's bait for media to latch onto and point fingers at for some controversy stories, so if they get funded they'll have to strap in for a bumpy ride with their PR interactions.

...Sorry I kind of derailed the purpose of this thread for a while there. I think I need a better outlet for my writing binges. X_X
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 03:03:06 AM by Quady14 »
(Name Contributor of Rauzdauer the Mulletworthy!)

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 17, 2014, 04:37:51 AM »
Sadly I think this is the kind of stuff that's bait for media to latch onto and point fingers at for some controversy stories, so if they get funded they'll have to strap in for a bumpy ride with their PR interactions.

This is mostly what I'm worried about. Don't know much about the game or the people behind it but I wouldn't discount the media, any media, latching on to drum up some controversy over what may or may not be innocuous.

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
  • The meanest Dolphin you'll ever meet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 17, 2014, 07:49:40 AM »
If there is any significant story, as long as it doesn't turn out with you fighting Giant Zombie General Custer while he spouts racist one-liners and fires cannons at you it should be okay...

Final Boss: General Whitey WeiƟmann  ::)

Na seriously, I'm sure you can be offended about everything if you dig deep enough and want to. Heck, I could make up dozens of problems around any game in a second that would sound plausible for the easily offended.
As a kickstarter I doubt that they will have much success if they go for too "controversial" topics, but for the game itself, anything goes. No need to force some morale, guilt etc onto the player.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 17, 2014, 11:43:53 PM »
The creators of The Path have come to Kickstarter with their new game Sunset. I don't like how they setup their pitch. It was hard to watch all the way through with all the pop-ups, different audio levels and too much mashed together.

Twin Souls: The Path of Shadows finally launched. It is a 3rd person stealth game with a strong art style.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 21, 2014, 02:43:30 PM »
Temporus is another game like A.N.N.E. that has both a 2D platformer and a shoot'em-up.

Soon Shovel Knight will be sending out rewards.

In the news there has recently been a surge in stories about the movement to change the name of the Washington Redskins. A name change for Deadskins looks even more logical.

Beast's Fury had a burst of new backers in its last hours. The per backer average pledge was $59.29 with the performance of the $45 tier pushing it over 100%. I mentally treat campaigns with a $10 main tier different from those with a $15 main tier. The higher the price for the main tier the stronger the game and its presentation should be. Beast's Fury was technically a $45 main tier campaign. I usually don't have much confidence in campaigns that charge more than $25 for the main tier unless it is a project from someone famous.
http://i.imgur.com/wp7BJlU

The Game That Time Forgot isn't a Kickstarter campaign, but it has what could have been a great pitch video for one. It made 7 minutes go by quickly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b0tSu0QDQ0

It is going to be tough for the small campaigns now that there is the Steam Summer Sale until the end of the month.

crinaya

• Forgekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 21, 2014, 05:12:27 PM »
In the news there has recently been a surge in stories about the movement to change the name of the Washington Redskins. A name change for Deadskins looks even more logical.

As a local to the Washington area and living in the general vicinity of a large amount of Redskin fans...  This comes up every couple years.  If anything will happen or not this time we will see, but it isn't new by any means.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 23, 2014, 11:49:02 PM »
InSomnia is a diesel-punk art styled RPG that has a lot of buzzwords in its pitch video. It is a relaunch.

The Deer God has an interesting use of 3D voxel pixel art.

TerraTech reminded me about Scraps. Both are physics-based vehicle construction games.

Areal is a campaign that has been announced. It is a spiritual successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. from people who worked on that game and Metro: Last Light.

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 24, 2014, 07:02:34 AM »
What suprises me is how colorfull the concepts for Areal seem. I don't know how much of the Ex-Metro makers is onto this, but they definitely did great jobs on their series (also budget wise; important for kickstarter).

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 24, 2014, 10:15:53 PM »
We Are the Dwarves caught my attention today. It has very good 3D models.

Areal launched earlier than expected around 10am PST. It didn't even launch in the video games category. Everything except the narration seems very thrown together. There is too much wrong with the campaign to finish typing up before bedtime.

A Whispering Willows update is interesting. They are participating in something like Lootcrate but with an indie games focus.

Just now there seems to be some controversy in the comments section for Areal. People are pulling out pledges.
"We have contacted GSC's lawyers regarding this fraudulent claim of being the developers of Stalker and Metro Last Light. Please do all you can do ensure people know these claims are false."
https://forum.survarium.com/en/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3450

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 25, 2014, 10:19:36 AM »
We are dwarfs looks good, but I'd liek to see a bit more of the actual game idea. Story and world design seem fairly innovative.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/06/25/s-t-a-l-k-e-r-2-areal-vostock-sparks-legal-and-fraud-threats/

This is getting interesting.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 04:58:10 PM by Doomspeaker »

nagatopain17

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 26, 2014, 04:18:15 PM »
(yes, this is the same post as my other topic... don't judge.)
Hello everybody. I don't want to be that guy who advertises other games willy nilly, but here it is.

I'm not gonna type out all the information as it is already typed up much better than I could manage elsewhere. Instead, I'll post a couple links or so to information. If it looks good to you guys, please feel free to click on the lowest link and help it with some funding that it needs to continue. I have great hopes for this game, and hopefully you all like what you see. :)

http://www.indiedb.com/games/dungeonforge

http://www.indiedb.com/games/dungeonforge/news/real-time-global-illumination-tech-demo

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1004444231/dungeonforge-be-the-ultimate-dungeon-master

The above three links should give some great info on the game. The kickstarter and first link share most of the same info, though one or the other may hold a little more for you. If you have any questions you should be able to find information around google or on those links someplace. I honestly don't know any more than what's posted. The game used to have a site, but it seems like its down for one reason or another. Anyways, here's the funding link. Thanks for reading this far!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dungeonforge-keep-the-dream-alive--2/x/8032688
"99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs, take one down, patch it around, 117 little bugs in the code."

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 29, 2014, 11:09:47 PM »
Horror game Bulb Boy launched on Friday and has had a slow start. Hopefully it will do better on Monday when traffic should improve. It still has just 31 backers including myself. It looks like a lot of effort went into this game already.

Timespinner is a Metroidvania project that is doing well after it too has a slow start, but then the campaign suddenly exploded in growth on its second day.

There is a funny teaser trailer for Paradigm. A Kickstarter campaign for it has been announced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et8QqNIZIT8

I found myself overloaded with project previews to critique this weekend after my guide on Reddit was rediscovered. Some of them were interesting.

Areal is surprisingly still getting backers. It is getting closer to 70% funded. I thought it would have been suspended.

* Permissions

• You can't post new topics.
  • You can't post replies.
  • You can't post attachments.
  • You can't modify your posts.