Author Topic: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.  (Read 412496 times)

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
  • The Dorothy to your Dark Oz
    • View Profile
    • 8:30 to Awesome
Re: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.
« Reply #255 on: June 29, 2014, 11:44:02 PM »
Horror game Bulb Boy launched on Friday and has had a slow start. Hopefully it will do better on Monday when traffic should improve. It still has just 31 backers including myself. It looks like a lot of effort went into this game already.

Just did a review of this game on my channel. It's interesting and looks great but if you don't like Point and Click Adventures the demo at least leaves a lot to desire.

LobsterSundew

• Delver's Drop - Early Access Players
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Lobster's List for Kickstarter
« Reply #256 on: July 02, 2014, 09:16:22 PM »
Mighty Tactical Shooter is a turn-based shoot'em up. There are some interesting execution ideas for making what is normally a reflex heavy genre into a turn-based one.

Pyrella is a Metroidvania set in a dark temple.

Coffin Dodgers is a scooter racing game. I don't know how much depth there is to the racing, but I like the 3D modeling.

There is some interesting data about new projects by hour.

There was an interview with Deadskins' dev.

I'm still overloaded with multiple project previews. It looks like TIGSource members found out about my guide. I finally decided to make an account there today instead of just occasionally lurking.
Often a day 1 backer of Kickstarter projects.
http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/iankragh

crinaya

• Forgekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 03, 2014, 11:22:54 AM »
I checked out the demo for Mighty Tactical Shooter.  While I wanted to like the game, I just couldn't get a feel for it.  I'm sure some more polish might bring it in line, but the gameplay did not feel like they were advertising in my opinion.  Half of my turns were just moving back and forth waiting to see what was going to come next since you can't strategically plan for what you can't see on your screen yet.

Zillie

• Whisper from the Spire's Depths
  • Forgekeeper
  • (ZillieZephyr)
    • View Profile
    • visit Pixelscopic
« Reply #258 on: July 08, 2014, 01:15:59 PM »
In case this one hasn't been posted yet. Throw some  :$: :$: :$: at this guy, will you!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad
UI / UX Design at Pixelscopic. As for now, the forum stuff hates me and keeps demoting me to Early Access instead of a Pixelscopic team member. Don't worry though—I'm a legitimate employee.

Quady14

• Lost Archivist of The Drop, Prone to Digression
  • Most Wize Sage
  • With A Buzz In Our Ears, We Play Endlessly
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #259 on: July 08, 2014, 06:05:06 PM »
I'm so glad this exists.
(Name Contributor of Rauzdauer the Mulletworthy!)

nagatopain17

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 08, 2014, 06:17:48 PM »
I love how it's still growing, i saw that less than a week ago and it was still getting close/slightly above the goal... wow. People are hilarious.
"99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs, take one down, patch it around, 117 little bugs in the code."

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 09, 2014, 08:33:52 PM »
A Polygon article talks about said potato salad.

There is a project called The Gandfather. I'm NOT making POTATO SALAD!.

A Twin Souls update is a very good example for how to do add-on rewards. There is even a small instructional grapghic for how to increase one's pledge for an add-on. It is trending to 48% on Kicktraq.

Solarix didn't look like it was going to be interesting when I clicked it. What I found is a project sitting with just 2 backers that is a first-person survival horror game made with Unreal 4.

The quality of campaigns launching feels like rock bottom. For the last two days I've been getting a lot of practice converting video clips into animated GIFs and upgraded to Imgur Pro so I can host more graphs there.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 16, 2014, 05:53:20 PM »
A number of projects like We Are The Dwarves have been cancelling out of lack of morale. The $10,000 pledge near the end of We Are The Dwarves is mysterious as Kicktraq doesn't show it on the daily tab.
http://i.imgur.com/aETvZY7.png

More poor quality campaigns are launching. The new streamlined approval process is resulting in more and more projects like Nothing Simulator 2015. It may cause users of the site to just ignore the Recently Launched section which will harm smaller projects. Some people are complaining that the changes are allowing campaigns that damage Kickstarter's brand. After seeing what happened to IndieGoGo, I have to agree that the old approval process probably produces better ecosystem health.

Knuckle Club is a brawler with detailed pixel art. It is one of the more impressive projects to have launched in the last few weeks.

Mad Joan Run was one of the devs on TIGSource who messaged me. I had a message almost ready to click send when it launched. $17 is too high a price for a main reward tier for an iOS game like this. I regret not getting the reply out fast enough.

Ninja Pizza Girl is a 2.5D parkour game.

Bacon Man is another 2.5D game.

I was inspired by a post for FORCED, so now I'm making posts like that for campaigns about to launch. This weekend I might be in full marketing mode depending on if a project creator decides to launch this Monday.

Quady14

• Most Wize Sage
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #263 on: July 16, 2014, 08:33:05 PM »
I played Bacon Man a couple months ago as a demo of it was featured at the MassDiGi 2014 Game Challenge. It was a little buggy as it was an early build obviously, but they really had some good designs behind it. Little stuff like gaining a little height by shooting your gun downwards, using enemies as platforms over freezing water, a simple but satisfying melee system, etc.

It had a really corny vibe to its story, but I really think there was some love put into that game and its weird personality really shows at some points. There were a nice couple of secrets in the demo that were difficult but satisfying to reach, so it's not just a straightforward quickly thought out platformer with a bacon gimmick. If nothing else, if you had a soft spot for something like Earthworm Jim back when that was a thing, you'd probably appreciate Bacon Man in some small way.

There's my two cents anyways, I'd say the game deserves to be funded, the devs were really nice guys, pretty young and I think it's their first real foray into game development, I wish them success with their campaign.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 18, 2014, 07:47:44 PM »
Bacon Man is trending well on Kicktraq. It has reached the 30% funding tipping point.

I had planned to spend all day posting around Reddit to promote a project before it launched, but it looks like the project is going to have to delay itself for now.

Jotun is getting ready to launch. It is a top-down action adventure with some fluid animation.

Snot has telepathic gateways to the Flamingo World and a mollusc protagonist. It is weird game with some personality.

Inherit the Earth: Sand and Shadows is an adventure game sequel.

Backers of Yogventures are getting Steam keys for TUG as a result of Yogventures' development stalling.

A GDC talk linked to on Reddit is a good read before editing a pitch video.

Twin Souls didn't reach its goal. I was surprised how quiet its last 48 hours were.
http://i.imgur.com/RUD7bup.png

In has been about a year since the last episode of Lobster's List for Kickstarter and the last post of Kickstarter Katchup. Now that the Recently Launched feed is more cluttered there is increased need for such things.

Areal is still going.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 24, 2014, 03:16:29 PM »
Ray's The Dead has its Prefundia page up. I'm planning to release an updated Kickstarter guide during their campaign including what I learned about timing campaigns since the last guide.
http://prefundia.com/projects/view/rays-the-dead/2072/

Jotun is doing well in the rankings on Kickstarter.
http://i.imgur.com/RWyeBlP.png

Braven Hearts is a JRPG-style game with tile-based combat.

Jenny LeClue is an adventure game with good animation..

Vanguard Valkyrie is a space railshooter that I've been listening to the title theme and its remix looped this morning. What I don't like the campaign is that the pitch video isn't frontloaded with gameplay. The pitch should have started with the material around the 2 minute 9 seconds mark. Its thumbnail is probably also harming the campaign's click rate.

An article about Areal is a good read.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 30, 2014, 12:42:59 PM »
Vanguard Valkyrie had an IP dispute, so it is now Vanguard V. The dispute temporary stopped the countdown, so after resuming it is now ending at the poor time of 9:29am PDT on Saturday August 23rd.

There is drama about Knuckle Club. I thought it was going to be good before finding out about its past.

Aegis Defenders is a strong campaign, but I didn't see Linux support. It has an art style inspired by 16-bit games and Nausica.

Mundus is a small 2D survival game set on the curved surface of a small planet. It is PC-only, otherwise I was considering backing.

Stash: No Loot Left Behind is a multiplayer dungeon crawling RPG.

Quady14

• Most Wize Sage
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #267 on: July 30, 2014, 02:01:35 PM »
Huh... VERY strong Nausicaa inspiration on Aegis Defenders, though mostly just for the main character designs, primarily their cloaks and the old man's wonderfully poofy beard and glasses, they have a distinct style to em, and a bit of the environmental art as well (very familiar to the Toxic Jungle segments of Nausicaa, but I get the idea that was the whole intention). Looks very nice, I hope Studio Ghibli doesn't mind the resemblance. :P

Either way, some pretty awesome concepts to it just from a glance, a mix of sidescrolling exploration with periods of strategic defense placement to survive wave attacks, could be really good. Might not back it just yet, but I'll definitely keep an eye on that one for whenever it releases.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 02:09:07 PM by Quady14 »

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 02, 2014, 11:41:14 AM »
The start of a new month means a surge of new campaigns. Unfortunately August 2014 starts on a Friday. A bunch of decent campaigns are wasting part of their first 48 hours on a Saturday. I'm noting in my guide that the weekly traffic cycle takes priority over starting at the beginning or middle of a new month.

Bolt Riley is making a second attempt. The campaign decided to only have 7 days. It doesn't even complete on weekly cycle which will harm its ability to get as much coverage in time. There is a time delay for some blogs to prepare posts. Some blog columns are weekly. It looks like they are trying to just qualify for Ouya funding which is why the campaign is so handicapped. The rocket selfie also upset people because the project is based in Israel. Some backers said in comments on the old campaign they won't pledge again. The performance is not doing as well as it should for a reboot.
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/soundguy/bolt-riley-a-reggae-adventure-game/#chart-daily
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/soundguy/bolt-riley-a-reggae-adventure-game-chapter-1/#chart-daily

Paperbound reminds me of Towerfall. A local multiplayer demo is available.

Engauge! is a platformer with interesting pitch music and a blue robot with large arms.

Cavern Kings uses stacking power-ups.

Unnecessary Sentience is a weird point and click adventure that should have added more to its project page.

Elysian Shadows is a perhaps overambitious RPG with Ouya as a supported platform. I'm watching how well its rewards work. It used many many tiers with the same pricing.

Ray's The Dead has two of its team members relocating from Chicago to Dallas so they can join the third member of the team. Their daily driving progress is being tweeted. The plan is to relaunch their project when the team has finished moving to Dallas.

Quady14

• Most Wize Sage
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #269 on: August 02, 2014, 09:06:24 PM »
Cavern Kings looks like Vlambeer's Super Crate Box had a baby with Risk of Rain. Not a bad thing. =D

* Permissions

• You can't post new topics.
  • You can't post replies.
  • You can't post attachments.
  • You can't modify your posts.