Author Topic: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.  (Read 412492 times)

LobsterSundew

• Delver's Drop - Early Access Players
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Lobster's List for Kickstarter
Re: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.
« Reply #285 on: September 10, 2014, 12:56:43 AM »
Hive Jump made it.

Kickstarter changed how the backer avatars work. They are now really tiny and hard to see. Kickstarter continues to try more rounded edges to images. There is now a bouncing balls "Congratulations" animation thing.

I'm watching Pathologic's rewards closely. There is a lot I like. This is one of the more talked about Video Game category projects right now.

Paradigm is a surreal adventure game with a sloth as an antagonist. There is an entertaining demo.

Kraden's Crypt is a co-op rogue-like.

Exit Humanity is a 2D sidescrolling horror game.

Death to Spies 3 is an ambitious 3D steal action game.

Heroes Never Lose: Professor Puzzler's Perplexing Ploy is a puzzle game with pixel art superheros.

My new Kickstarter guide is over 41,000 words and growing. I'm worried I may have to rush it near the end to post it before Ray's The Dead's campaign is over. Recent changes to Kickstarter itself also mean I have to rework or add more notes to parts of my guide.

Warlock keeps changing its rewards very regularly. Tiers are added, removed and repriced. It is producing interesting data. I've noted 16 changes so far.
Often a day 1 backer of Kickstarter projects.
http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/iankragh

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 18, 2014, 02:20:16 AM »
Paradigm is now over 100%. Ray's The Dead is working on stretch goals in its last week.

Clang is doing refunds.

There has been a slowdown for good campaigns launching. Some campaigns are interesting as specimens of strange campaigns.

E M I L Y's pitch was really strange in tone.

SUPER MEGA BOUNCE MAN has an interesting song for pitch video, but there isn't enough to the rest of the page.

More of M.O.R.E. refreshed almost its entire rewards structure in its first 48 hours with new $5, $10, $10, $55, $122 and $237 tiers with a $236 tier removed. I backed the first campaign. I haven't decided if I will pledge to this new one.

My new Kickstarter guide is now over 53,000 words. It is a sprint to get it ready. If anyone wants to give feedback on what is done so far they can message me.

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
  • The Dorothy to your Dark Oz
    • View Profile
    • 8:30 to Awesome
« Reply #287 on: September 18, 2014, 02:26:25 AM »
I'd love to take a look at it Lobster but I think a lot of the technical points would be lost on me. You do awesome work all the same.

Theseekr12

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 24, 2014, 05:24:03 PM »
Check out Dinosword an epic retro platformer about exploration, sacrifice, and a little green dinosaur named Chompy.

Link here:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jlowther/dinosword?ref=category_newest

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 26, 2014, 04:39:37 PM »
September 19th had new visual updates to Kickstarter itself again and a new terms of service.

Reflex is a 3D arena shooter with a custom map creation system in-game for players.

Lost Homeland has stiff combat animations and has already stalled out.

Retro-Pixel Castles is a RTS with a retro art style.

Blossom Tales is from people who worked on Rex Rocket.

No Pineapple Left Behind is a funny pitch and bizarre school simulation game where children become pineapples.

Mutiny is 3D pirate brawler.

GAME LOADING is trying to fund the finishing of a documentary about indie games.

The New 8-bit Heroes is a new NES compatible game and its documentary.

Beep is a documentary about music in video games.

Urbance is a very stylish animation project that is making a big splash, but its $1 tier may get it suspended since raffles aren't allowed.

BEDLAM has a post-apocalyptic band of adventurers in a legendary dozer. This one might be a campaign that gets some attention. It has some great art assets.

Stardale is a 2D sidescrolling procedural game. 00:29 in the pitch video has a kind of cool spaceship crashing scene.

Battle Chef Brigade is the next campaign I've been helping on.

My Kickstarter guide has gone through more scope creep. I'm now putting more step by step marketing instructions in.

Neverending Nightmares and TinyKeep are releasing.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/253330/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/278620/

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 26, 2014, 08:27:38 PM »
Battle Chef Brigade is the next campaign I've been helping on.

Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes. Miyazaki style artwork. Food. RPG. Iron Chef. Yes. I am in love immediately.

Quady14

• Lost Archivist of The Drop, Prone to Digression
  • Most Wize Sage
  • With A Buzz In Our Ears, We Play Endlessly
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #291 on: September 27, 2014, 01:59:38 AM »
Now they just need to feature an Alton Brown look-alike and it will be the best cooking game ever.
(Name Contributor of Rauzdauer the Mulletworthy!)

Knight Pattern

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 27, 2014, 07:09:45 PM »
BCB has such good character designs, sadly something that isn't so common (to my tastes, which shouldn't need to be said).

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 27, 2014, 09:12:15 PM »
Now they just need to feature an Alton Brown look-alike and it will be the best cooking game ever.

I tweeted something of that effect at the developers. We'll see if they answer back. They're pretty on top of their Twitter correspondence. Very nice folk from what I can tell.

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 30, 2014, 11:44:56 AM »
Battle Chef Brigade made their funding goal in a really short time. Very excited about that news.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/trinket/battle-chef-brigade

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 01, 2014, 12:21:45 AM »
Elegy for a Dead World is a new project from Dejobaan Games. I did a critique for them before they launched.

Black The Fall has a dark atmosphere with an art style based on greys, blacks, whites and reds.

Ascent is another space game.

Highlands is a RPG with good art assets, but the pitch felt a bit akward.

I found the music for Combo Queen was a bit catchy.

Beyond-Human has some interesting pixel art.

Very bizarre graph for Lost Homeland. The unallocated backers number is spiking to 76% of backers. At first I thought it was an error.
http://i.imgur.com/LCGzxeG.png

Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes. Miyazaki style artwork. Food. RPG. Iron Chef. Yes. I am in love immediately.

Glad you like it. It is doing very well for a campaign of its size.

Here is an infograph for Battle Chef Brigade.
http://i.imgur.com/eJ6vHpK.png

I see a good distribution of backers in the rewards structure. The numbers decline well from the $15 to $25 to $35 reward tiers. There are only 8 reward tiers, but the structure covers funding hotspots well like the $35 to $45 range and the $90 to $100 range. The distribution of funding is standard looking. The $45 tier is performing well with both the number of backers and the percentage of the funding it is contributing.

I look for steep drops in backer counts from one tier to the next. It is often an indicator of a problem with the rewards structure being able to upsell backers. If a reward tier is less than a fourth of the previous tier's backer count then I take a deeper look. This really only applies in the $1 to $100 range. Battle Chef Brigade is doing well in the $1 to $100 range.

There is gap between the $95 and $495 tiers I would have liked to have seen the gap bridged if the launch hadn't been so much of a rush. One member of the team was awake for almost 48 hours. A lot of that hard work went into the content of the teaser trailer used for the pitch video. The gap was left because there is the option to add more rewards there later and the rewards structure was good enough to get to 100% funded even with this gap. Now that it is fully funded the incentive to keep manipulating the reward tiers is to make it more efficient at reaching stretch goals. The problem is that it is difficult to find reward content that fits the three requirements of being worth those prices without adding physical rewards, inflating the minimum goal and fitting well with the game's design. I think it is better to focus more on add-ons rewards in this scenario. Backers at the $95 tier selecting add-ons can be the equivalent of having higher priced tiers. The physical rewards are currently t-shirts and posters which are items that can be sourced easily.

Growth slowed over its first weekend as expected, but what I didn't expect was such a huge surge on Monday. I though it would be funded by Friday. Tuesday September 30th was the best day for the campaign for new backers. Over a quarter of their current backers arrived on that day. The Kotaku article was a big boost. For some reason Rock Paper Shotgun has not posted yet. It felt like it used to be easy to get coverage from there in the past. The $15 and $25 tiers saw most of the surge.

The comments section has been doing well despite one tiny console flamewar. The daily numbers for comments is good. The Reddit posts I made with my LobsterSundew and LobsterMashingKeys accounts received positive upvote ratios. People are liking the art style and premise. Battle Chef Brigade has been sitting at the top rank in popularity for active Video Game projects on Kickstarter. It still feels like the blog coverage has just started.

When writing this, the project had raised $42,069 (110.7%) from 1,487 backers. I see $20 to $30 as a healthy per backer average pledge amount for a campaign with a $15 pre-order tier. At $28 Battle Chef Brigade falls within that range. There is a just $1,304 in unallocated funding. The Kicktraq page is showing a trend to 532% funded. I don't see it exceeding $115,000. I think even that may be WAY too optimistic because the numbers are too good right now. It might do about $60,000 to 80,000 overall. Once the Kickstarter trough effect is visible, I should have a better idea of how well it will do. The attention sparked by the Kotaku article was a disruption that has delayed the trough.

With Ray's The Dead it was hit hard by a reduction in the sense of urgency after it reached 100% funded. I hope that Battle Chef Brigade's stretch goals will help motivate people to spread the campaign link around once they are shown to the public. Project updates will also become more important to maintain discussion about the game.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 05, 2014, 02:31:16 AM »
Human Resources is the next game from the Planetary Annihilation developers. I am stuck between wanting to back it and remembering the fulfilment problems on their previous game.

H. P. Lovecraft’s The Case of Charles Dexter Ward started its pitch in a comical way.

GORGE has some really good art for a RPGMaker game. It launched on a Saturday night and so far only has 4 backers.

The Outpost 13 made a poorly planned reboot this Saturday. I'm writing my Kickstarter guide hoping to prevent project creators from making rough reboots like this. They are often timed even worse and don't fix the core problems holding the campaign back.

It is interesting to compare the first Coolest Cooler campaign to the second one.

Kickstarter project creators spamming their own link in other projects' comment sections can get his or her project suspended. I saw an IndieGoGo project creator spamming his link around. The Kickstarter staff don't have the power to suspend an IndieGoGo campaign.

Battle Chef Brigade had to deal with some backlash because of their stretch goals not including console ports for now. I don't know if Vasae was around when the comments became really heated. The comments section became very negative. I should have screencaptured a few more comments than I did. It was interesting to see people expose their opinions. Other very experienced backers have commented that this situation is a bit unique. It has a strange tone where some backers went a little across a line they should cross. I get to see information that normal backers won't because I am being asked for my opinions due to my accumulated Kickstarter experiences. I support the developer's decision because I see it as a very well made one. A lot of thought went into these stretch goals about the financial and time budgeting. It might have been a big mistake to jump onto supporting more platforms so soon. Too many platforms might be a mistake that hindsight will expose many current campaigns are currently making. Time will tell if being more risk-adverse was the right call. I think the game will do better upon release because it prioritized quality over many platforms. This is not a retro pixel art game. The hand drawn art is a significant cost.

Since I've backed over 600 projects, I may end up with a spot in the backer club. I see it as an experiment. I actually talked about such organizations forming in my updated Kickstarter guide. The Order of Obsidian was the backer group that inspired that section.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 07, 2014, 11:26:19 PM »
Two big campaigns launched.

The Black Glove is getting popular. If you liked BioShock then take a look because it's team had members who worked on that game.

The Flame in the Flood has an amazing trailer. The art design for the Magnolia character is cool. I found the music catchy.

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 08, 2014, 09:15:20 AM »
Battle Chef Brigade had to deal with some backlash because of their stretch goals not including console ports for now. I don't know if Vasae was around when the comments became really heated. The comments section became very negative. I should have screencaptured a few more comments than I did. It was interesting to see people expose their opinions. Other very experienced backers have commented that this situation is a bit unique. It has a strange tone where some backers went a little across a line they should cross. I get to see information that normal backers won't because I am being asked for my opinions due to my accumulated Kickstarter experiences. I support the developer's decision because I see it as a very well made one. A lot of thought went into these stretch goals about the financial and time budgeting. It might have been a big mistake to jump onto supporting more platforms so soon. Too many platforms might be a mistake that hindsight will expose many current campaigns are currently making. Time will tell if being more risk-adverse was the right call. I think the game will do better upon release because it prioritized quality over many platforms. This is not a retro pixel art game. The hand drawn art is a significant cost.

I avoid Kickstarter Comments like I avoid Youtube comments not on my own videos. I support BCB's decision with applauds and remarked to several people on how I thought it was the right choice to make. Porting can come later if need be, best to focus on the original platform. I've had a chance to speak with some of their crew over Twitter, very fine and friendly folk who seem to know what they're doing. A very similar and gratifying feeling of care and concern I felt with/when Delver's Drop was on it's development role. Probably the second time of the five things I've backed. I'll for sure be pursuing some more media contact with them in the future, as they've expressed some level of interest in my cooking videos.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 22, 2014, 01:45:24 AM »
Cole: A Game About Coal has a funny pitch.

DICETINY has an interesting dark lined art style.

Guns, Fore & Cannoli has great audio and an interesting 1920s setting.

InnerSpace is a flying exploration game.

Air Brawl is a flying combat game.

The Facility is a first-person 3D horror game set in a Nazi base.

Medusa's Labyrinth is another first-person horror game.

The Dark Throne is actually a cool visual idea. Only 3 backers right now.

Kickstarter now supports Danish krones which has made more work for me.

Human Resources cancelled itself. That campaign had a lot of accumulated problems holding it back.
http://i.imgur.com/E5E0ubS.png

* Permissions

• You can't post new topics.
  • You can't post replies.
  • You can't post attachments.
  • You can't modify your posts.