Author Topic: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.  (Read 432435 times)

LobsterSundew

• Delver's Drop - Early Access Players
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Lobster's List for Kickstarter
Re: Delving into Kickstarter. Discussing active crowdfunding campaigns.
« Reply #300 on: November 01, 2014, 02:28:33 AM »
Battle Chef Brigade was funded.
http://i.imgur.com/7Na2tNL.png

I joined BackerClub when it relaunched. It is a big forum.

There are some good projects launching.

Flamberge is a tactics RPG. This is another example of a project with a playable demo, but a lack of game footage. The first 33 seconds of its 2 minute 45 second pitch video is devoted to gameplay. I've played through the demo 3 times because I liked it so much.

Laser Fury with 4 player co-op action brawler. The effects on magic attacks look cool.

Protocol E is a real-time strategy game with a focus on avoiding the need for heavy micromanagement.

Stowaway is a survival horror game set on a ship. The modelling of the environments is good.

Super Sea Star has a bunch of lobsters.

Aerannis is a 2D game where the player can take a human shield.

Convoy describes itself as combining Mad Max and FTL. This could be a cool game.

INGONGA is a 3D horror game. The stick forests look cool in the dark. The enemies feel a bit off to me. I wonder if it is the animations or modelling.

There was an "Uh-oh" moment on Reddit when I didn't realize I was responding to a comment I didn't know was from the dev of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. It sparked a discussion.
Often a day 1 backer of Kickstarter projects.
http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/iankragh

crinaya

• Forgekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 05, 2014, 11:46:41 AM »
As usual, here comes a board game kickstarter post.

The only active kickstarter I am currently backing is Web of Spies.  Mechanically, it combines deck building with area control.  Thematically, you control a group of globetrotting secret agents gathering assets to help you neutralize (read: kill) your rivals' agents.  Plays two to four players in about an hour.  Lots of good reviews from notables in the board game world, but if it funds it's going to be a close thing...

I backed Yashima which ended a couple weeks ago.  It was a very interesting campaign to watch.  As is the trend with a lot of miniatures games, it had a large all-inclusive pledge level that wasn't worth the money until a lot of stretch goals were reached, as well as a base game pledge level were you could choose stretch goal addons a la cart.  The campaign was very responsive to backer feedback, changing several goals from paid addons to free for the all-inclusive pledge, as well as completely changing the high level pledge goals per backer feedback during the last few days of the campaign.  However, as people realized that the all-inclusive pledge wasn't really that great of a deal due to not reaching certain stretch goals, funding backslid and ended up not reaching the stretch goals that would have made the higher pledge worthwhile.  If you look at the Kicktraq data the campaign actually lost money in two of the last three days, despite being almost 700% funded.  There was no typical 48 hour surge.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 08, 2014, 02:19:37 AM »
Web of Spies has a very good looking project thumbnail.

The Black Glove was not funded. I hope they find a publisher or return in 2015.
http://i.imgur.com/tcIeg80.png

I was surprised this morning to see one of the graphs I assembled in Moon Hunters' post-mortem.

I've been debating with myself about offering to help reboot two campaigns. I see both have buried potential, but both would be very large amounts of work to salvage because the presentations of both are very rough. I might only be able to focus on one of them.

Afterimage
Reasons why:
- Two brothers. Reminds me of my brother and myself.
- Cyberpunk (I like cyberpunk) and neo-noir.
- I played a lot of The Sims Bustin Out for Game Boy Advance, so I love the animations and isometric environments.
- Strong music tracks.
- Coding ability on team is not something I'm worried about.
- I see it as a sweat fulfilment project. These types usually get done eventually, but can take longer if not enough funds are raised.
- Relatively low goal.
- Potential for very cool looking animated GIFs.
Reasons against:
- Almost a complete overhaul of the project page. It would be easier to reboot. It currently is very incomplete in its presentation.
- Better thumbnail. The current one is very bad at conveying information.
- Coherent pitch video needed.
- Images rescaled to fit the pixel width for the main body of the page.
- Built with XNA. It creates obstacles against non-PC ports that take a lot of time to work around. I am a Linux gamer.
- Premise of cracking through video gaming would need to be careful handled. The Black Glove is actually similar in gameplay in that minigames are used to progress.
- Marketing would be limited to smaller blogs until it gets enough momentum.
- I feel it is more niche with its subject matter. This could be both good and bad.
- In-game pop-ups look unfinished.
- May have to aim for a budget priced main reward tier. This will make covering funding distance harder.
- No playable demo that I know of.

The Dark Throne
Reasons why:
- Camera system described in update #1 is interesting idea to me.
- Tank controls. I've been watching Let's Plays from the Best Friends Zaibatsu and they love games like this. I watched my brother play Dino Crisis on his PS1.
- Unity3d for easier porting.
- No QTEs or cover system.
- Good animations. I like the cape.
- Lighting and aiming systems.
- Most potential for fun gameplay.
- Lack of backers makes it easier to redesign higher priced rewards. The current run could be salvaged, but is now getting late enough that it would have to be a reboot.
Reasons against:
- The presentation leans too much towards the graphic filter. It is described as optional, but I did not see any material about what the game looks like with it turned off.
- World building project updates. Enemy variety shown so far is just skeletons. Needs more than just "The world of The Dark Throne is ravaged by the dark death and the only known cure lies deep in the dead city. Of all the champions who have made their way across the bridge, none have returned. Now it's your turn".
- Goal is equivalent of $32,000. Flow of rewards is effectively dead. Pricing feels too high to hold a lot of momentum.
- New project thumbnail.
- Marketing. There is a playable demo, but access is at the £35 tier and won't happen until the campaign ends. I would have to push for a playable demo to be released. I don't know how rough the demo is.
- The sequence for how information is presented has problems. From experience, this type of problem would take a lot of work to fix like untangling a knotted yo-yo string.
- The scope is larger. This could mean failing to deliver even if it received funding.
- I do not have a sense of what the project creator's personality is like. This is an important factor.

I may end up helping neither and focus mostly on the new campaign from the Neverending Nightmares developer and my Kickstarter guide. I still see both campaigns as good candidates to have before and after snapshots like a reality TV makeover show. Anyone want to comment about which one they think would be better to salvage?

crinaya

• Forgekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 11, 2014, 09:22:12 AM »
Web of Spies is about to hit the 72 hour mark.  The campaign needs to average 3 US backers per hour from now until the end.  All the high dollar pledges custom content pledges have been claimed.

One potential struggle that has impacted the game is international shipping.  As the creator is doing self shipping rather than partnering with a distribution company, not only are the games subject to international shipping fees, but also customs and VAT fees.  This has discouraged international backers due to both increased up front costs and the likely addition of additional fees later. 

Digital distribution makes international support so much easier.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 15, 2014, 12:41:48 AM »
One potential struggle that has impacted the game is international shipping.  As the creator is doing self shipping rather than partnering with a distribution company, not only are the games subject to international shipping fees, but also customs and VAT fees.  This has discouraged international backers due to both increased up front costs and the likely addition of additional fees later. 

As a Canadian backer there have been many campaigns for physical products I would have pledged to if the international shipping had not been so discouraging. Kickstarter has recently implemented a new more flexible shipping cost feature. When an international backer pledges the extra amount for shipping, it puts the project closer to its funding goal. Because that extra is going towards shipping, it doesn't contribute as much to the actual development budget as it first appears.

There is a CLANNAD Kickstarter campaign to adapt a 2004 visual novel into English. This campaign may be the first of more like it to come.

Vincent the Vampire has a weird world of lawyers and werewolves for an officeworker protagonist to explore.

Kelvin and the Infamous Machine is another point and click adventure game.

Attack of the Labyrinth is a 4 player 2D top-down dungeon adventure.

Scorn Episode One has a bio-horror feel that I like. There was a memo type thing with transparency about where the project is. The rewards structure looks stretched too thin and only spans €15 to €200. It won't be as easily able to cover funding distances.

A lot of campaigns that launched earlier this month are stalling out right now and cancelling. This week saw a surge of campaigns with many projects feeling very rushed and as a result have poor chances of making it. Press is already hard to get even now with all the AAA releases this month. I can speculate that project creators realize Christmas is bad for crowdfunding and that they are trying to fit in 30 day long campaigns that don't end too close to Christmas. This rushing results in poor execution.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 18, 2014, 01:08:53 AM »
It seems to me a lot of game developers based in Spain are launching this month.

Crossing Souls: An Adventure Between Life and Death is one of the stronger projects to have launched this month. Children interact with ghosts thanks to the power of a stone. The animated cutscenes fits the 1980s presentation.

To Azimuth is an adventure game about characters searching for abducted loved ones. I like the colour choices. The rewards only span $1 to $100 while there is a $20,000 goal.They have a prototype video linked on the project page and at the 5 minute mark is an interesting room transition where the doors and walls artisticly fall away.

The Scoundrels Guild is an OUYA game. Animations seem a bit off such as the hands, but at 2:08 there was a lobster on the table.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 19, 2014, 02:55:50 AM »
Thimbleweed Park is from former LucasArt developers like Ron Gilbert.

Hollow Knight has some great atmosphere. The 2D animations are strong.

Formicarium is another insect focussed game. This time it is about managing an ant colony.

Buck & Miles is a SNES platformer homage.

Quady14

• Lost Archivist of The Drop, Prone to Digression
  • Most Wize Sage
  • With A Buzz In Our Ears, We Play Endlessly
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #307 on: November 20, 2014, 03:56:26 PM »
Hollow Knight's art style is looking really nice, love the insect theme and the gameplay and visuals remind me a little of Ghost Song's presentation. Might have to follow that one if it gets close to hitting its goal!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 03:58:51 PM by Quady14 »
(Name Contributor of Rauzdauer the Mulletworthy!)

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 03, 2014, 01:38:51 AM »
There are not really any campaigns other than Kriophobia (A survival horror game with a demo) launching so far this month that are worth noting. Kickstarter slows down in December.

November was actually seeing some traffic numbers as good as September (Not as good as October) partially thanks to traffic generated by Thimbleweed Park. Many campaigns cancelled during the previous week. There are more "Kickstarter is dead" posts because projects like Air Brawl didn't make it. There were too many European developers cramming into the platform at a bad time of year like what happened with the Kickstarter UK launch back in 2012.

What is worth noting is Kickstarter made a very significant layout redesign. I miss some of the features I was used to like displaying the start and end dates below the rewards sidebar, pages for comments or easy access to the Twitter button.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 01:42:04 AM by LobsterSundew »

crinaya

• Forgekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 06, 2014, 04:21:27 PM »
Not a fan of the new kickstarter interface changes.

Currently taking a break from kickstarter, waiting for a few projects to actually send out rewards and for my gaming budget to build back up again.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 16, 2014, 02:04:22 AM »
The December slowdown is here. I've been catching up on a lot of backlog. My new Kickstarter guide is now over 81,000 words and growing. I've now started to shift more attention to the sections about interpreting graphs. The new changes to Kickstarter itself meant a lot of editing had to be done to update and reorganize parts.
http://i.imgur.com/GajReCJ.png

Aviary Attorney is a lawyer sim where all the characters are birds drawn in an art style inspired by J. J. Grandville.

Daydreamer has a very eye catching creepy project thumbnail and some good monster designs, but the platforming looks like it needs more polishing.

Absent II is a sequel to a free point and click game on Desura. I liked the pitch. With such a low goal is should be able to survive running in December.

Steam Battle is an multiplayer vehicular combat game. It feels too ambitious to run this time of year. I do like how much gameplay footage they showed.

Theseekr12

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 17, 2015, 08:35:50 PM »
Some new porject I think are interesting:

-Moonman is a procedurally-generated adventure game. Explore a strange and vibrant world, harvest resources from the environment, craft and trade items, and have odd encounters. Each new game generates a unique world to explore.
25 day to go, $9,754 of $35,000.

Link here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eigenbom/moonman

-Shadowrun: Hong Kong, what can I say? It's a new Shadowrun, he reached its goal in less than 2 hours.
30 days to go, $523,397 of $100,000.

Link here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong

-Drift Stage is a modern take on the classic arcade racer. Paying homage to the eras that birthed the genre, Drift Stage features a unique art style, blending pixel art and 3D models to create a colorful and vibrant world to race in.  Focusing on easy to pick up gameplay with enough depth to keep dedicated race fans satisfied, Drift Stage hopes to bring back the blend of pure fun and challenge that was a staple of arcade classics.
It has a pretty cool demo. 21 days to go, $41,843 of $30,000.

Link here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1910344764/drift-stage

-Into the Starts A single player open-world journey through a distant solar system. Scavenge resources, manage your ship and lead your crew in combat.
17 days to go, $87,919 of $85,000.

Link here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fugitivegames/into-the-stars

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 21, 2015, 01:47:48 AM »
Looks like Kickstarter is finally getting back to being as busy as it was before the December slowdown.

I really like the atmosphere created by Moonman. It helps set it apart from other Terraria-like games.

Children of Morta has an action RPG with some great art assets.

STRAFE is a FPS that has a very entertaining 90s commercial skit.

Steel Assault uses an art style inspired by some of the last and most technically advanced games for the NES such as Shatterhand.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 05, 2015, 02:13:49 AM »
Into The Stars was able to achieve 131% funded.

STRAFE added a $15 tier because of many complaints that introducing the game at the $25 tier was too much. The result was some cannibalization from the $15 tier taking backers from the $25 tier.

Orion Trail has the premise of Oregan Trail in a spaceship.

Judo is retro looking martial arts game.

Neptune, Have Mercy has a submersible fighting aquatic monsters.

LobsterSundew

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 11, 2015, 01:38:53 AM »
The Miskatonic is a sidescrolling "horror" comedy.

Seaworthy is a FTL inspired game with sea pirates instead of space pirates.

WarRab: Veteran is an odd game with a rabbit and war.

Strength Of The SWORD ULTIMATE is a rare example of using infographs as the main body of a project page.

Underworld Ascendant is from a game development team that worked on Thief and Ultima.

For other Kickstarter-related news there are problems with Godus
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 01:40:27 AM by LobsterSundew »

* Permissions

• You can't post new topics.
  • You can't post replies.
  • You can't post attachments.
  • You can't modify your posts.