Author Topic: so what are you currently playing?  (Read 28753 times)

VacantPsalm

• Delver's Drop - Early Access Players
  • Veteran
  • 4 dots per dot.
    • View Profile
Re: so what are you currently playing?
« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2013, 08:29:11 PM »
I've been playing Long Live the Queen and am enjoying it quite a bit. It looks really frilly and pink, but then she dies because you did something wrong and it's over. The video on Steam sums it up pretty well actually.

It's strange how a game can make you feel like death is so inevitable, and yet be so relaxing. It's also is REALLY thick on stuff to know. The first time you play, you'll be hit with so much info; people, royalty, places, things, stats, moods, etc. You just have to shrug and roll with it, but still try to take stuff in for your next run. It's all about coming back wiser than you were before.
Retina MacBook Pro for life + Win 8 for gaming + Ubuntu for home server box = happy Vacant! :3

~ WITCH! ~ WITCH! ~ WITCH! ~ WITCH! ~~ WITCH! ~ WITCH! ~ WITCH? ~ WITCH!

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
  • The meanest Dolphin you'll ever meet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2013, 03:01:31 AM »
I was convinced that this was a Visual Novel about a 14 year old queen.   ::)

Looking at it again, it seems fairly cool with all the planning options you get. Vacant, what would be the average playtime?

VacantPsalm

• Veteran
  • 4 dots per dot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2013, 09:47:17 AM »
I was convinced that this was a Visual Novel about a 14 year old queen.   ::)

Looking at it again, it seems fairly cool with all the planning options you get. Vacant, what would be the average playtime?
It definitely looks and feels a bit like how I would imagine a visual novel to play out, minus you inappropriately wooing ladies. (I've never played a VN.) If you're uncomfortable with the general concept of a VN, I'd suggest watching some of RockLeeSmile's let's play.
(click to show/hide)

My average play time (so far) is about an hour or more two, but it really depends on quite a few thing. The events in this game are either very lightly randomized, or not randomized at all. There's a lot of paths to take, but you get there by making choices, not roguelike-like randomization. It reminds me of Groundhog Day honestly; you learn the events, but watch them play out quite differently because someone else is around or you're skilled in X. (I think I dodged a whole civil war on my second run. Wish I knew how.)

Because of this, you'll probably go through some early game scenes quickly on your 3rd+ time around. Indecisiveness and number crunching means I also spend quite a bit of time looking at the stats screen scratching my chin. But I still definitely go faster than RLS does in his LP. (cuz he's talking AND indecisive.) So it really depends on the person.

And obviously, if you die early on then that'll shorten your run. Sadly, I often have more faith in lil' Elodie than I should, so my average runs might be short. (I'd LOVE to have a dual to the death! That sounds like a great idea.)

FYI though, you can save whenever you want. (I don't, feels cheap IMO. Ok, there's a lot of things which line up in certain ways later on and I'm not sure is worth recreating. I need to find a middle ground.)

I mention how it's not like a roguelike-like because I know my friend lost some interest when he heard that. I don't mind though, because there's WAY to many names to absorb on your first run. It wouldn't work as it does if it was randomly generated. I would actually advise downloading the map and using it for reference when you hear names of places / dukes.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3311296/JunkPics/MapOfNova.jpg
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 03:27:55 PM by VacantPsalm »
Retina MacBook Pro for life + Win 8 for gaming + Ubuntu for home server box = happy Vacant! :3

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2013, 05:39:35 PM »
VNs are a guilty pleasure of mine. Kinda embarassing to admit, but whatever.  :P

Thanks for providing a good overview. I decided to give it a try. Gog has sale time anyway.

EDIT: Got killed by bandits while trying to be a mystic. Definitely a VN, not randomized events by what the game tells me. I'll try mystic again with some twists right again. xD

« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 06:36:13 PM by Doomspeaker »

VacantPsalm

• Veteran
  • 4 dots per dot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2013, 08:40:43 PM »
VNs are a guilty pleasure of mine. Kinda embarassing to admit, but whatever.  :P

Thanks for providing a good overview. I decided to give it a try. Gog has sale time anyway.

EDIT: Got killed by bandits while trying to be a mystic. Definitely a VN, not randomized events by what the game tells me. I'll try mystic again with some twists right again. xD
No shame from my gazes, I have a couple of VNs on my "to play" list. I just sadly leave said list alone far too much. If this game is a good example of a VN, then I want more. (Well, I also want to read A Song of Ice and Fire and play Crusader Kings 2, cuz I'm itching for more royalty intrigue.)

Anywho, If it's not randomized at all, then there are a lot of little things that change based on your decisions. More than I'm probably ever going to wrap my head around. (probably)

And, in spoiler tags so others interested in it won't see.
(click to show/hide)

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
  • The Dorothy to your Dark Oz
    • View Profile
    • 8:30 to Awesome
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2013, 09:23:13 PM »
[ (Well, I also want to read A Song of Ice and Fire and play Crusader Kings 2, cuz I'm itching for more royalty intrigue.)

Prepare to invest a lot of your time. For both. Or either. I've got 60 hours in CK 2 and I'm still a novice.

Knight Pattern

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 29, 2013, 11:42:26 PM »
I'm really looking forward to getting CK2 next time it is a daily/flash deal on Steam. Long Live the Queen looks great to, for that matter.

Meanwhile, attempting to grind out that low score achievement on Spelunky, with sides of Bastion/ALBTW/ACNL/multiplayer local stuff with friends.

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2013, 06:12:47 PM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

VNs have a nice multiple line structure, with certain events always being fixed and certain parameters sharing the same events. This way you actually feel like you have a bit of control over the thing, but it doesn't get repetetive. I'd like rpgs adopt such system.

Quady14

• Lost Archivist of The Drop, Prone to Digression
  • Most Wize Sage
  • With A Buzz In Our Ears, We Play Endlessly
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2013, 01:02:17 PM »
Recently bought Blade Symphony while it was on sale over Steam's Autumn Sale (it also had a discount on the Humble Store two weeks ago I believe) and while starting out I was slightly irked by its slow pacing, it's quickly becoming my favorite 3D fighter. If I had to describe it in a sentence, I'd say it takes the weapon variety and stances from Bushido Blade for the PS1, and implements it into a much more open and flexible fighting system, with little to no button mashing reliance to be found, as in other 3D fighters like the Soul Calibur series.

Basically, it's a sword dueling game with the setup of a traditional fighter. Best out of three matches, a lightly implemented combo system, grabs, etc. However, the reason for the slower pacing that I mentioned above, and the reason why I really like this game as a competitive fighter, is that it pretty much deals with button mashing by making combat revolve around a much more deliberate, careful system of timing your strikes, anticipating attacks, dodging, parrying, switching stances to fit the situation and counter your opponent's stance. The great amount of work they put into each character's combo strings make sure that if you're just clicking away like a madman, the game will leave you open as you close out of a combo, and if your opponent punishes you as you're recovering, it's because you weren't being careful and watching them as well as yourself. Also, I'm not sure about this, but if you clash a heavier-stanced attack with your opponent's that overpowers their lighter stance, you might do bonus counter damage, not sure though. Dealing heavy hits to a light attack in the right position just seems to inflict a ridiculously high amount of damage, which in itself might be a little overpowering, but hopefully this and other things will be balanced, changed and improved in future patches.

It's not a perfect system, I notice some slight moments of finnicky interactions between opponents and playstyles, and some stances and attacks feel a bit limited in their purpose and practicality, while others feel a little too powerful for the sheer amount of damage they do. The heavy stance, even if slow to come out and easy to read and predict, can knock out a full health bar in just three or four hits, sometimes two if you land a counter attack for a ridiculous amount of bonus damage.

Being someone who mainly plays as Judgement, a class focused on being slow but strong, and using the longsword weapon type, which is meant for the precise purpose of powerfully heavy-handed strikes, I do feel I have a slight advantage compared to the more agile play styles of Phalanx and Pure, which I was pretty bad at when I tried mostly because I haven't practiced with them yet, but I have faced opponents using all the four currently available classes, and had them absolutely wipe the floor with me, so I feel that there is still a major focus on the player's level of skill, their knowledge of the game's mechanics, and awareness of their opponent's actions and how to counter their play style when it comes to how well you do in battle.

If nothing else, I rarely have a perfect match against another player, and each victory feels well-earned. Some of the fights I've had over the 6 hours I've put into the game over the past week were quite intense, and very, very fun.

Right now, there are ranked competitive matches, which can be 1v1, 2v2, or as a jokingly unfair setup (which is how they describe it on their website)/test of your mettle vs. multiple opponents, 2v1! There's also a great Free For All mode where you can simply slash up everyone in the server or challenge a single opponent to a private duel, and it's all done seamlessly without any sort of leading screen in-between fights. All non-combatants are just phased out and become colored outlines that can't interfere with the fight. It's a really great, smooth-flowing system. There's also a beta steam workshop feature where people have already uploaded a handful of weapons you can download and use! In fact, you can download them in-game, and it'll automatically be added to your available armory so you can use it in battle right on the spot, and other players can see these weapons without needing to be subscribed to them. It's pretty amazing really.

The game's visual style is pretty impressive, and sometimes rather beautiful; it mixes traditional oriental imagery, such of Judgement's samurai outfit and the Temple stage urban imagery, including Ryoku's default outfit, breakdancing fighting style and the City District stage, and a bit of futuristic flair with the Community Mall stage, and some sci-fi themed outfits for each of the classes, particularly Pure's default.

It also has a great variety of music tracks that play during battle, which vary from more Oriental-themed tracks, to something I imagine would play during fancy fencing match, to my personal favorite which sounds a bit like an action-filled Mexican Standoff.

You can unlock different weapons and helmets by earning Notes through ranked matches, which compared to the prices of some of the fancier weapons and helmets, you get a pretty scarce amount of per match (I'm hoping they patch it to give you a little more than they do now). These unlockables are all cosmetic though, meant only for extra visual flair and style, pretty much everything available in the game gameplay-wise is fully accessible to everyone from the start.

Anyways, I've ranted for way too long, I really love this game though. You can check out the game's website Here and read up about it for yourself! They've even got a live updating Duel tab where you can see who is fighting who and exactly how each match went, with statistics on remaining health, landed hits and blocks, damage amounts, it's completely insane how detailed and integrated this thing is into their website and Steam.

I think this would be a really fun game to have for our game nights, so if anybody picks it up during a sale or anything mention it on the forums and we can go a few rounds with it ;) hope to see you there!
(Name Contributor of Rauzdauer the Mulletworthy!)

Quady14

• Lost Archivist of The Drop, Prone to Digression
  • Most Wize Sage
  • With A Buzz In Our Ears, We Play Endlessly
    • View Profile
    • Quadraxis14's Youtube
« Reply #129 on: December 09, 2013, 06:52:03 PM »
I don't know if I've mentioned it on the forums here before, but I'm a huge fan of Treasure, a company which broke off from Konami after making countless classic arcade beat em ups and run 'n guns and being largely uncredited as a development team. Basically they left and made their own company, producing some of my absolute favorite games on the Genesis, stuff like Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy, and in particular Alien Soldier, which is what I just finished playing for the umpteenth time a couple minutes ago (and it still remains my absolute favorite run 'n gun, no competition at all). Something interesting I wanted to mention is that a lot of the bosses are large, complicated beasts, comprised of many segmented pieces. While playing the game I realized that the system they used to animate their bosses functioned similarly to the way Spine allows parts to be animated for Delver's Drop. It kind of makes me want to learn Spine myself, because when it comes to putting together some pretty fancy big beasts of bosses, that segmented look really helps make for some super smooth animations, and lets you focus on the quality of the overarching detail of a single piece rather than having to work all that detail in then constantly redo it with the same level of detail. Same thing applies with Rayman's disconnected body parts, just really interesting technology behind how that stuff works, and if I remember right in Rayman the reason for it was that it actually saved resource space, which I found rather neat. Anyways, just thought it was an interesting little tidbit, so I wanted to bring it up on here... Speaking of bosses, I'm kind of hoping we'll get some minor teasers for how a guardian of The Drop might look one of these days. ;)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 06:55:08 PM by Quady14 »
(Name Contributor of Rauzdauer the Mulletworthy!)

Doomspeaker

• Hidden Metalwright
  • Prism Seer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2013, 07:48:42 AM »
Not so much of a fan of the use of scale and rotate in pixel art games, because it just looks out of place. Modern sprite based games often do that better (and DDrop has the resolution that pull of rather radical scaling options).

Vasae

• The Trespasser
  • Prism Seer
  • The Dorothy to your Dark Oz
    • View Profile
    • 8:30 to Awesome
« Reply #131 on: December 11, 2013, 03:07:09 AM »
Been playing some Sonic: All Stars Racing and it's been a total blast. It's got all the visual style of the later Sonic Games but with the gameplay of Mario Kart 64. It's goofy, bright and loud just like you'd want from a racing game based around the SEGA franchise. There's some problems I have with their menu system but the gameplay is really what matters and it's beyond solid.

Knight Pattern

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 20, 2013, 10:45:38 PM »
>gameplay of MK64

If only Nintendo could match that these day with the series ;___; DD was alright, and MKDS had the best original courses but everything else past that point was awful (especially MKWii, which came on the heels of the already horrible Brawl). I can fire up a round of 64 battle mode any any con worth its salt and always find people to join me (and of course with friends), truly one of the best multiplayer experiences of all time (fourth/fifth of my all time favorite video games, in fact).

Speaking of local multiplayer on a much more recent note I've been playing a lot of Samurai Gunn, and it quickly worked its way into my top ten games of the year. Then Tales of Maj'Eyal came out and suddenly started sucking away most of my single player gaming time, been quite the final two months in this year of already fantastic games (EOIV/EOU, SMTIV, AC:NL, Spelunky HD, Rune Factory IV, ALBW, BBCP, etc).

Deltius

• The Devient
  • Most Wize Sage
  • The mouth may lie, but never the eyes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 27, 2013, 01:09:18 PM »
I just recently decided to play  Brothers; A Tale of Two Sons.  I must say this has probably been one of if not the best game I played all year.  For those who never heard of it; it's a about two brothers who go on an incredible journey together to get to the Tree of Life so they can save their father from illness.  In this game you control both brothers.  Now This can get kind of confusing/irritating sometime especially if played on keyboard and was originally made for controller, but it is minor and so worth the little bit of hassle you may run into.  Now the game is kinda short but the beautiful world and story is so compelling and truly pulled me in.  If anyone has not played this game yet, I truly recommend doing so if you want something different and emotionally strong. If anyone has played it here; without going into spoilers, how did y'all feel about it? :]
“If you want to say something and have people listen then you have to wear a mask. If you want to be honest then you have to live a lie.” -Banksy

Mason

• Scout
    • View Profile
    • Anomalous Ware
« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2014, 10:49:31 AM »
I have been playing Titanfall, and Forza Horizon 2 as of late. Easy to pick up and go games which is good for someone like me who is pretty busy most of the time.

* Permissions

• You can't post new topics.
  • You can't post replies.
  • You can't post attachments.
  • You can't modify your posts.